Fondant V. Buttercream

Decorating By Lelly Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 10:27pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Lelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelly Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 11:58am
post #1 of 6

I am stressed because I want to make a christening dress cake for my daughter but the christening is next week and I still haven't figured out what I am doing. I know fondant would work but it is so disgusting! When you make a fondant cake, is it just common to take the fondant off and eat what is underneath? It seems liek a waste of time and money if everyone is going o throw it out. I don't wnat people not to have cake because of the fondant. (It is the Italian in me that everyone be fed.)

I saw some people on this site used only buttercream? How would you get pleats with buttercream? When I decorate cakes I tend to use #16 stars. Do you think that would look wierd if I did the whole cake in that or just the bottom? Please help, I am so confused.

Thanks, Danielle

5 replies
Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 6

Satin Ice Fondant is good.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 6

I also use Satin Ice and people like it. Some, however, just won't care for the texture of fondant, no matter the taste. I use it, knowing those who will eat it will do so, and those who will peel it off - oh well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 6

As a die-hard BC cake maker, you can make pleats with BC but it won't look as nice as fondant. Basically, the cake would be iced in what I call the kitchen table knife method.

As a die hard BC maker who has recently started using fondant, I would use fondant on this cake. Satin Ice tastes ok. Choco-Pan tastes great ... it's made with white chocolate and you can roll it really REALLY thin (I mean REALLY thin!) so it actually goes further. (farther?)

With the BC under the fondant, those who don't want the fondant can peel it off of their piece of cake and still have icing.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 6

"When you make a fondant cake, is it just common to take the fondant off and eat what is underneath?" No, even the nasty Wilton's is passable if you put a nice flavored buttercream underneath- I have used orange. Vanilla isn't pronounced enough to distract from Wilton's.

The other thing is to warn people ahead of time that it is a bit chewy. I gave my class cake from Wilton's 4 to my brother for his work place. He was a bit sceptical. I warned him that it was chewy and that it was no big if someone didn't care for it they could just eat around it. He comment later about fondant was it was different, but that anyone who peeled it off was just plain weird. And this was the nasty Wilton's'. Of course it didn't hurt that one of the other employees said that her wedding cake had been covered with fondant and that it was very expensive. So everyone had to try this "really expensive frosting."

Debi- further / farther

farther is physical- i.e. How much farther must we walk?
further is metaphorical-i.e. Any further disruptions will not be tolerated.

Or in your case while technically you are talking about physical size, but you aren't moving from point A to B, it is ambiguous. In those unclear situations, the preferred usage is further. A. Your first choice was correct and B. that was definitely one of those super ambiguous situations.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 6

"When you make a fondant cake, is it just common to take the fondant off and eat what is underneath?"

I just saw something on tv the other day about Disney World/Land and how they host weddings at the theme parks. They do bake and decorate their cakes onsite and they use fondant. However, when they serve the cake, the servers just peel the fondant off and serve the cake slices without it. Honestly, you aren't going to please everybody. I would use the fondant (because it looks the best for a dress cake) and if people don't like it, oh well. At least they can say that they have tried fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%