Nc Home Bakers - Questions

Business By Mom2ANC Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 12:49am by SeriousCakes

Mom2ANC Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 6

I was talking to the dept. ag. person today about getting my permit/license. They said that I cannot sell any products that require refrigeration.
Doesn't that severely limit the fillings that you can do? Like no mousse, etc?
Do you all just never use butter in your buttercream frosting?
All my tastiest stuff needs refrigerated. I use a modified version of Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream, using part butter, and whipping cream. It is my favorite!
I am bummed to hear this.
What frostings/fillings do you use?

5 replies
all4cake Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #2 of 6

mousse type fillings can be easily made by using Bettercreme(or the like which does not require refrigeration) instead of whipping cream. I would recommend keeping your recipes that require refrigeration(mousses that incorporate eggs in the recipes...and others) until you are able to secure a fully licensed establishment/kitchen. It limits a lot.

I don't refrigerate any of my icings. The icings that are made with butter or cream are made in quantities just enough for the cake that calls for it and at the time I am ready to use them...I don't do those far in advance.

For personal consumption only, IMBC, SMBC and that flour based whipped icing are left at room temperature for up to 3 days(I don't keep anything longer than that...not even cookies). I wouldn't do that with FMBC though...yolks make me extra cautious(yes, I've heard the debates on yolks/whites/sugar/fat/acid...yolks still make me skiddish(?)).

Don't be bummed...create other fillings/frostings until....then bring out the 'big guns' and make everyone's toes curl!

snarkybaker Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 6

Yep- No dairy, no eggs, no fresh fruit- only frozen.

jammjenks Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 6

Most of my customers do not order specialty fillings, so I am not too bothered by that new rule. Most fillings can be made non-perishible and just because an icing has butter/milk in it doesn't automaticlly mean it has to be refrigerated. The high sugar content makes it shelf-stable.

Mom2ANC Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Most of my customers do not order specialty fillings, so I am not too bothered by that new rule. Most fillings can be made non-perishible and just because an icing has butter/milk in it doesn't automaticlly mean it has to be refrigerated. The high sugar content makes it shelf-stable.

Can you tell me more about what would be shelf stable? How do I know?

I have made all shortening buttercream before and just added jam or flavoring to it to make it a different flavor, and that is OK, but really just OK.
What about ganache (whipped)- does it need to be refrigerated?
How about a buttercream with half butter/half shortening and milk for liquid? Or 1/3 butter?
I guess my favorite buttercream is out (very similar to SeriousCakes buttercream, with the whipping cream in it) That has to be refrigerated, right?

SeriousCakes Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6

No no, my bc recipe does not need to be refrigerated. The sugar to fat ratio acts as a preservative keeping bacteria from forming. I leave this out all the time with zero problems icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%