Can You Use Boxed Mixes For Carving?

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 12:45am by TooMuchCake

shelly-101 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 8

Can you use boxed mixes for carving? i have heard that if you add an extra egg and pudding to your boxed mixes they carve better is that true? and for the mixes that already have pudding in them do you do the same thing or do you just leave them as they are?

7 replies
shanasweets Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

I use WASC cake all the time and have carved it. Pudding is suppose to make more dense. Also freezing cake helps to carve.

cecerika Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 8

WASC???? What is that??Thanks!!

poshcakedesigns Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 8

I do it all the time - I add an extra egg and freeze the cake until it's firm and then carve it.

diane706 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:23am
post #5 of 8

Betty Crocker pound cake works great for me. I've never had a problem with it and I've made lots of 3D cakes. I love the way it carves and tastes. I don't add anything to it other than flavoring now and then. I Use milk instead of water for a richer taste. Freezing before carving is a must (for me anyway). Good luck and have fun! icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, and WASC is an acronym for White Almond Sour Cream Cake. The recipe can be found on CC (Cake Central).

silkworm00 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:35am
post #6 of 8

I do it all the time I've tried making cakes from scratch but they always fall apart. What I do i use more eggs, butter, choc. chips and jello pudding to give it more taste and a bit denser to allow for carving. And it works out really great.

want2bcupcakequeen Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:36am
post #7 of 8

WASC is White Almond Sour Cream cake. It's an "extended" recipe that starts with a boxed cake. Here's a link to the recipe.

TooMuchCake Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #8 of 8

I use box mixes according to the box instructions for small sculptures like the one in my avatar that don't need to support any weight or have gravity-defying elements. For others, I doctor the mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%