Melting Merckens...

Sugar Work By mom23kids Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm by pinkpiggie78

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi. Is there a difference in melting merckens and wilton candy melts? I just tried my new wilton melting pot and the wilton melts turned out great. Ran out and used merckens and I have a clumpy mess!! I always have trouble melting merckens (even in the microwave)...what am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated........can I salvage the clump?

3 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like they may have overheated. Maybe Wilton's melts at a higher temp? I just used my double boiler, but I will admit that near the end of dipping my chocolate was looking clumpy too, but I also had my water kind of boiling, which I know you're not supposed to do. It did seem to get a little better when I took it off the water pan and let it cool a few minutes then stirred, but it didn't have the same smooth shiny appearance that the first dippings did. I saved the leftover though and plan to re-melt to see if it can be salvaged.

Maybe try adding some Paramount crystals, or even a little shortening and see if that helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

I use merkle's all the time for my chocolate fountains. I microwave them for 30-45 seconds, then stir them for AT LEAST 20 seconds. Repeat. I'm always amazed that they seem to melt at least 50% more during the stirring process. If you just microwave them for 2 minutes until they are melted, then you will over-nuke 'em, and they will seize up and get hard and lumpy.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 4

I have always used merckens and haven't had any issues... I heat mine either in the Wilton disposable candy dishes, the Wilton squeeze bottles or a Tupperware vent and serve. I agree with indydebi... I always heat, stir, heat, stir... and I use a little bit of shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%