For Those Who Are Not Using Nfsc, What Are You Using?

Baking By justfrosting Updated 5 Feb 2016 , 11:04am by mariainnj

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 17

I saw on another post that lots of folks don't like the NF sugar cookie. I am up for trying something new...

What are you using that tastes good and still holds it shape?

16 replies
Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 17

I use penny's cookie recipe. It tastes so much better than NFSC. I replace the whipping cream with flavored coffee creamer. Here is the link...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6806-Penny-Cookies.html

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 17

Peggy Porschen's sugar cookie recipe is so tasty and it holds its shape perfectly!

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:15am
post #4 of 17

Could you tell us where to find Peggy's recipe. I use Pennys recipe and its pretty good but I always like to try new recipes.
Thanks

KrissieCakes Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:27am
post #5 of 17

Here is another thread that all of her cookie recipes are posted...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610806-.html

I have only tried the gingerbread (even better than the sugar!!!) and the basic sugar cookie, but you can make it into chocolate, lemon, or orange. I'm sure there are other flavors you could add too, but those are the ones in her book. I've made them and put Antonia's RI on them and everyone loves them!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:38am
post #6 of 17

KrisieCakes - If you don't mind, I see two different recipes shown there. Is this correct?:
Unsalted Butter - 1.75 sticks
Sugar - 1 cup
Large Egg - 1
All-Purpose Flour - 3 cups
Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp

I guess I am a bit confused as I saw that you had written on that other post that there is no amount given in the book for the extract. I can't find the book here and any help would be much appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #7 of 17

I just made and cut out some different cookies. They are a recipe I got a couple weeks ago from a King Arthurs seminar. They are in the freezer chilling and I will bake them on Friday. We'll see how they bake up and taste.

I'll let you know. What I thought was kind of different was they have a little cornstarch in them.

I did a brown sugar cutout that was pretty good recently. I posted the recipe here. It's under the title "If you want to try a different cutout recipe"

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 17

Before I found this website and forum, I had surfed YouTube for cookie ideas. There is a lady with videos about cookies, Signature Sweet Shoppe, and I wrote down her recipe as the video went along. It works very well for cookies on a stick and shaped cookies. I did discover that my oven temp is way off, so had to learn to adjust for even baking. I just finished a batch today!

I may try Penny's recipe next time- always looking for something new. I have used NFSC with success as well.
Linda

cookiemookie Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 17

Well I am really sad to report that the Kind Arthur recipe did not turn out as I hoped. It is absolutely delicious, but it spread like crazy!

It is seriously one of the best tasting ever, but... icon_cry.gif

They puffed up. spread, and then got thin and crispy. I made them this morning. It is such a shame. They are sweet and buttery

KrissieCakes Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 17

Sorry...just back from Thanksgiving with my family!

Tracy...You have the correct recipe and you are right - there is no amount given for vanilla extract. The recipe calls for the seeds of one vanilla bean. I always use extract though. I think I usually use about 2-3 tsp. I just kinda pour it in until it smells good! icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:01am
post #11 of 17

I used to always use a recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Deluxe sugar cookies. Last time though, I tried Penny's Butter Cookies and topped with Antonia's icing. They were great!

cookiemookie Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 17

All of the cut out recipes on
www.karenscookies.net are awesome. I just made them this weekend.

The cream cheese cut outs are really nice.

The cinnamon spice cookies are really delicious as are the gingerbread.

I really like the NFSC recipe, but wanted to try something different.

The White chocolate cut outs are nice, but you have to be ready to roll and cut them out almost right away. Sometimes I just can't do that. They are very good tasting and smell awesome as they bake!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Krissiecakes and Cookiemookie! I will play around with these. I just need something a bit different. icon_biggrin.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:08am
post #14 of 17

Thank You girls for the information. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:26am
post #15 of 17

I second the cream cheese recipe on Karenscookies!!!

mmm...i haven't tried the spice ones yet, but I've been looking for a good spice cookie recipe. I'll have to check that one out. Perfect for the holidays!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 17

I use a vegan sugar cookie recipe from a vegan chef... and it is the best one I've ever tried. Nothing against the NFSC, but when I made it vegan it became all crumbly (maybe the soy margarine???)

Anyway, I'm very happy with the one I use icon_smile.gif

Anyone know how to easily convert to chocolate sugar cookie? Or do you need an entirely different recipe?

mariainnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariainnj Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 11:04am
post #17 of 17

Hello Lcubed82 or anyone else that can help, does anyone have the sugar cookie recipe from Signature Sweet Shoppe on YouTube, I see that Jenny took all of her videos down...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%