Doweling With Straws

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm by ladybug76

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 8

I have heard that you can do this... so can you use regular drinking straws or do they have to be the bubble tea straws?!? I realized that I don't have any wooden dowels that I usually use but I do have regular drinking straws. I really don't want to go out to the store... I have been already three times in the last few hours!! I am transporting the three tiered cake unassembled and I am going to assemble on site. It isn't going to be moved either after assembly... I will make sure of that. So it doesn't need to be travel-safe, just sitting safe. Will I be okay using the drinking straws?!?!? Thank you for your help!!

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 8

I personally wouldn't trust regular drinking straws unless you have the jumbo ones like you get at McDonalds, etc. They are much stronger then what you get at the grocery store. I know that's not the answer you were looking for but it's my opinion.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 8

Yes you can use 'regular' drink straws but don't use coffee stir sticks, kabob or sucker sticks or anything like that.
For a 10" round that will have a 6" on top of it use 5 straws around a 5" circle in the 10" cake.
If those two tiers are going on top of say a 14" cake use 9 straws in that tier.
*Do not!* put any straws in the center of any tier - just around a circle about 1" smaller than the size of the cake going on top of it.
Of course each cake goes on a cake cardboard the same size of that cake ie: 6" cake goes on 6" board; 10" cake goes on 10" board etc.

kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 8

Yes you can use 'regular' drink straws but don't use coffee stir sticks, kabob or sucker sticks or anything like that.
For a 10" round that will have a 6" on top of it use 5 straws around a 5" circle in the 10" cake.
If those two tiers are going on top of say a 14" cake use 9 straws in that tier.
*Do not!* put any straws in the center of any tier - just around a circle about 1" smaller than the size of the cake going on top of it.
Of course each cake goes on a cake cardboard the same size of that cake ie: 6" cake goes on 6" board; 10" cake goes on 10" board etc.

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 8

The tier sizes are 10", 8", 6" rounds. Thank you for the advice!! This is my dad's wedding cake and my first wedding cake ever, although I have done other tiered cakes using wooden dowels.

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 8

what happens if you put a straw in the middle of the cake as well as the outside circle??

kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 8

.....what happens if you put a straw in the middle of the cake as well as the outside circle.....

I can't expalin it but it is something I haVE heard on many other boards. Somehow it can cause a plastic plate to crack in 1/2icon_sad.gif So I expect it could cause problems w/cake boards too.
And it's not putting straws *outside* the circle it's putting them *inside* that throws it off icon_smile.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 8

I just started using drinking straws in my cakes recently after taking a class from Kim Morrison - and that's all she swears by!! At first I was scared, but no problems so far!!! Kim said she still dows down the center. How would have thought?? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%