Need Some Ideas Help Cc!

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 6:07am by FromScratch

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make a cake for my Brother-n-laws girlfriends son. He is coming home for 2 weeks after basic and traing in national guard. Then he will be sent somewhere else for special training. He will be in special intelligence from what I gather.
I don't know whether to make it a welcome home, congratulations, or a good luck cake theme?

Any ideas out there?

I will need to make this around December 20th. Thanks!
Ritakk

12 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 13

What about something that congratulates him on making it through basic. I understand it is the most grueling thing they can imagine!! He should definitely be commended for getting through it! Are you any good with fondant?

Ritakk Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 13

Yes Melvira, I have done 2 with MM fondant. It's okay, but no one liked eathing it. So if there is something I could like lay something on top cut out would be okay, but don't really want to cover the cake in fondant. I play on a sheet cake, this will be at a fish fry in his honor, so I'm assuming around 20-30 people maybe.
Thanks, what idea do you have? icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Ritakk

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 13

I agree wthMelvira, a congratulations cake would be awesome. I know there are some really cool cakes in the gallery that have to do with military, something like a fondant american flag (that could be removed before/after cutting if you'd like) and then some type of design (like maybe a chocolate transfer of the NG logo or something?) I'm sure no matter what you do, they will love it all the same! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Keyshia

Ritakk Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 13

Okay now I have to try to find where I can learn to do a chocolate transfer! Thanks!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 13

Hmmm... if it's going to be a fish fry, why don't you make a fish cake? It doesn't have to be an amazingly detailed one if time is an issue. But then maybe a funny saying... something to tie it all in?

Otherwise, perhaps something simple but elegant... a square cake with his military insignia on it. Something that displays honor at what he is going in to. Sounds like he'll have a very important job! (Well, all military jobs are important ones, right?)

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #7 of 13

Frozen butter cream transfers are nice too because once the buttercream comes to room temp, its just a regular part of the cake and you can cut it up. I've only done one, but it wasn't too hard. A lot easier than fondant, in my opinion.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #8 of 13

That's strange that no one liked the MMF. What recipe do you have? I use

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (jet puffed)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

1kg bag of icing sugar (I use rogers)

Add as you need it for a nice consistency

and I always use a wiltons butter flavoring(about a tsp or tsp 1/2) that I mix in the marshmallows before adding the icing sugar.

People usually like the fondant, they eat like crazy! Especially my kids! haha

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:56am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1978

That's strange that no one liked the MMF. What recipe do you have? I use

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (jet puffed)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

1kg bag of icing sugar (I use rogers)

Add as you need it for a nice consistency

and I always use a wiltons butter flavoring(about a tsp or tsp 1/2) that I mix in the marshmallows before adding the icing sugar.

People usually like the fondant, they eat like crazy! Especially my kids! haha

Is this recipe in the recipe section? 3 ingredients sounds perfect for me!

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:13am
post #10 of 13

I don't think it is in the recipe section. I just found it when I was looking for a fondant recipe before I even knew about CC. I used it on my first fondant cake(I think I did a treasure box first) and I loved it! I tweaked it a bit with wilton butter flavor extract, but that's about it! I love making a chocolate cake and adding peppermint extract to the fondant! Tastes great!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #11 of 13

Usually people don't mind the taste.. it's the texture of fondant/MMF that people don't enjoy. MMF is chewier than regualr fondant too IMHO. Most people don't like to chew their icing.

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:54am
post #12 of 13

Yes I guess that is a good point. Is there a tasty fondant out there that is maybe a better texture?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:07am
post #13 of 13

All fondants are going to be chewy.. there's really no way around it. Some are less chewy. I usually make Michele Foster's fondant.. it's easy to make, quite tasty, and behaves better than most commercial fondants. You can find it in the recipe section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%