Need Some Ideas Help Cc!

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 6:07am by FromScratch

Ritakk Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make a cake for my Brother-n-laws girlfriends son. He is coming home for 2 weeks after basic and traing in national guard. Then he will be sent somewhere else for special training. He will be in special intelligence from what I gather.
I don't know whether to make it a welcome home, congratulations, or a good luck cake theme?

Any ideas out there?

I will need to make this around December 20th. Thanks!
Ritakk

12 replies
Melvira Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 13

What about something that congratulates him on making it through basic. I understand it is the most grueling thing they can imagine!! He should definitely be commended for getting through it! Are you any good with fondant?

Ritakk Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 13

Yes Melvira, I have done 2 with MM fondant. It's okay, but no one liked eathing it. So if there is something I could like lay something on top cut out would be okay, but don't really want to cover the cake in fondant. I play on a sheet cake, this will be at a fish fry in his honor, so I'm assuming around 20-30 people maybe.
Thanks, what idea do you have? icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Ritakk

keyshia Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 13

I agree wthMelvira, a congratulations cake would be awesome. I know there are some really cool cakes in the gallery that have to do with military, something like a fondant american flag (that could be removed before/after cutting if you'd like) and then some type of design (like maybe a chocolate transfer of the NG logo or something?) I'm sure no matter what you do, they will love it all the same! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Keyshia

Ritakk Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 13

Okay now I have to try to find where I can learn to do a chocolate transfer! Thanks!

Melvira Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 13

Hmmm... if it's going to be a fish fry, why don't you make a fish cake? It doesn't have to be an amazingly detailed one if time is an issue. But then maybe a funny saying... something to tie it all in?

Otherwise, perhaps something simple but elegant... a square cake with his military insignia on it. Something that displays honor at what he is going in to. Sounds like he'll have a very important job! (Well, all military jobs are important ones, right?)

sayhellojana Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #7 of 13

Frozen butter cream transfers are nice too because once the buttercream comes to room temp, its just a regular part of the cake and you can cut it up. I've only done one, but it wasn't too hard. A lot easier than fondant, in my opinion.

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #8 of 13

That's strange that no one liked the MMF. What recipe do you have? I use

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (jet puffed)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

1kg bag of icing sugar (I use rogers)

Add as you need it for a nice consistency

and I always use a wiltons butter flavoring(about a tsp or tsp 1/2) that I mix in the marshmallows before adding the icing sugar.

People usually like the fondant, they eat like crazy! Especially my kids! haha

miny Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:56am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1978

That's strange that no one liked the MMF. What recipe do you have? I use

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (jet puffed)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

1kg bag of icing sugar (I use rogers)

Add as you need it for a nice consistency

and I always use a wiltons butter flavoring(about a tsp or tsp 1/2) that I mix in the marshmallows before adding the icing sugar.

People usually like the fondant, they eat like crazy! Especially my kids! haha

Is this recipe in the recipe section? 3 ingredients sounds perfect for me!

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:13am
post #10 of 13

I don't think it is in the recipe section. I just found it when I was looking for a fondant recipe before I even knew about CC. I used it on my first fondant cake(I think I did a treasure box first) and I loved it! I tweaked it a bit with wilton butter flavor extract, but that's about it! I love making a chocolate cake and adding peppermint extract to the fondant! Tastes great!

FromScratch Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #11 of 13

Usually people don't mind the taste.. it's the texture of fondant/MMF that people don't enjoy. MMF is chewier than regualr fondant too IMHO. Most people don't like to chew their icing.

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:54am
post #12 of 13

Yes I guess that is a good point. Is there a tasty fondant out there that is maybe a better texture?

FromScratch Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:07am
post #13 of 13

All fondants are going to be chewy.. there's really no way around it. Some are less chewy. I usually make Michele Foster's fondant.. it's easy to make, quite tasty, and behaves better than most commercial fondants. You can find it in the recipe section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%