Toba Garrett's Books

Decorating By mandysue Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 6:08pm by GI

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 11

Should I ask for a Toba Garrett book for Christmas? If so, which one? I'd love your opinions!

Thanks!

10 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 11

I really like her book on cookie decorating... "Creative Cookies", I think is the name. I ordered it last year. Her cookies are very fancy, but she breaks down the process into easy steps.

I'm not familiar with her cake decorating books... but her cakes are incredible!! icon_eek.gif

HTH icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 11

We have Essentials of Cake Decorating...It's written as a culinary school text, but very informative...However, we looked at another book she wrote and it was very similar to this one.

HTH

Paul & Peter

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 11

I have the well decorated cake. she has some fantastic ideas in there but I haven't had occasion to try any yet. It's a nice intro to gumpaste flowers and she has some nice borders too. Her recipe for chocolate buttercream is to die for. Overall it's a nice book, one of my few cake books that's I've read cover to cover.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 11

I have her book "The well decorated cake," also, and the recipes are very good, especially the chocolate buttercream. It is wonderful. I like the book and would recommend it. Her cakes are beautiful.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 11

I have her book "The well decorated cake," also, and the recipes are very good, especially the chocolate buttercream. It is wonderful. I like the book and would recommend it. Her cakes are beautiful.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #7 of 11

I agree with the other posters about "The well decorated cake". I LOOOVE her chocolate buttercream recipe (I use that one exclusively now) and the decorator buttercream is very nice too. Haven't tried the cake recipes yet though.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:37am
post #8 of 11

I have Toba Garretts "The Well-Decorated Cake" and "Creative Cookies" love them both

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:39am
post #9 of 11

I love "The Well Decorated Cake". Her chocolate fudge cake is the only chocolate cake I make now. Her decorator's buttercream is wonderful and her chocolate buttercream is out of this world! Her cakes are absolutely beautiful and her instructions for her flowers are easy to follow. I would definitely get this book.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #10 of 11

I have Toba Garretts "The Well-Decorated Cake" and "Creative Cookies" love them both

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

Should I ask for a Toba Garrett book for Christmas? If so, which one? I'd love your opinions!

Thanks!

Her "Well Decorated Cake" book is fantastic. It has great recipes, has wonderful intricate designs that she explains, explains in depth alot on colors, how to make fondant and gumpaste figures. I've read it cover to cover.

You can also find it on e-bay fairly reasonable price. I think I snagged mine for $20 bucks. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%