Help Quick!! Pecan Pie

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 5:01am by hummingbird59

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 5

I am making 9" deep dish pecan pies and it is taking like 1 1/2 hours for it to cook - is this normal? I am new to the pecan pie world and it just seems like this is a really long time. I am basically cooking it until it does not jiggle anymore and a toothpick seems to be clean when I stick it. But is this a normal bake time? thanks

4 replies
mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 5

that sounds about right to me. my pecan pies, baked in regular pie plates, take near an hour to bake. have you cut into one to test it?

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 5

to be honest I don't eat pecan pies and not sure if I would know what it is suppose to be like. I think that I am more concerned about the crust. It has gotten pretty brown, not burned, but quite brown. I guess I am worried because I am making like 13 of these

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #4 of 5

once it has baked for about 1/2 hour you can put foil around the edges, which will prevent them from getting over done. since you have so many to do, you may want to get a pie ring. i find the foil a PITA. i have a couple pies to bake tomorrow and i am dreading the foil. i may go buy a ring in the morning.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:01am
post #5 of 5

Yes, pecan pies will take 1+ hours. Instead of using a toothpick with pies I prefer using a steak knife. It is easier for me to test pecan pie doneness. Just a short amount into the center. I have 2 pecan pies to do tomorrow so I don't envy you having to do 13.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%