Need Help With Icing!!!

Baking By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm by ShabbyChic_Confections

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 11

I need a recipe for am icing that is not so sweet, I'll be making filled cuocakes and I want to use an icing/buttercream that is not so sweet.

Thank you.

10 replies
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #2 of 11

Somebody?

indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 11

People tell me that they like mine because it's not so sweet. I personally dont' understand it, because it's made of SUGAR!! icon_surprised.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 11

Can you taste the crisco? most of the recipes call for crisco and I really can't stand the flavor of crisco.

indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 11

I think it depends on what you're used to. I can't taste a crisco flavor, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that butter users can taste it big time.

I tried a different recipe once that had about twice as much crisco as my recipe does and it just gagged me, so I kinda know what you mean about a nasty crisco taste. Mine has quite a significant and reduced amount of crisco, so I believe it will be different from most of what you've tried.

All I can suggest is maybe make a half-batch and see what your tastebuds think! thumbs_up.gif

grammynan Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 11

I use the Wilton buttercream recipe. I use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 SALTED butter. Everyone tells me they love my icing because it's not so sweet. I can only figure it's because of the salted butter.

grammynan Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 11

I use the Wilton buttercream recipe. I use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 SALTED butter. Everyone tells me they love my icing because it's not so sweet. I can only figure it's because of the salted butter.

cakedivamommy Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 11

I have never not agreed with something indydebi has said until now. You will LOVE her recipe. That being said, make a WHOLE batch and not a half like she suggests. You may regret it if you do not! icon_biggrin.gif I have tried several different recipes and Indydebi's is hands down the best. Family and friends love love love it. It does not taste crisco-y to me compared to others. It has a very mild sweetness to it and is silky smooth and soooo easy to work with. Try it, you will like it!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 11

I will make a batch to try it, I need to make about 75 cupcakes, I want to make sure it holds well.

lindambc Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 11

I am with grammynan, love the Wilton buttercream. At times I have to use less butter and more shortening because of the heat here but I just add butter flavoring and its great. It also crusts nicely.

Good Luck

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 11

I have tried the wilton icing and is one of my least favorites, I can really taste the crisco, I never tried making it with salted butter, maybe that helps make it les sweeter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%