Please Give Me Ideas...my 1St Wedding Cake

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 1:45am by kakeladi

Bluesea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluesea Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I have received my 1st wedding cake order. Very excited about it. But i need help. The bride wants a chocolate cake covered in either fondant or buttercream with yellow roses. Here's where i need help/ideas:

a) fondant or buttercream - experts, pls tell me which one goes well with a wedding cake.

b) if it is buttercream - i was thinking of swiss buttercream. does swiss buttercream go well with wedding cakes

c) gold leaves - how can i get gold leaves??

she wants a yellow & gold theme. pls give me some ideas on how i can achieve this.

many thanks

6 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:19am
post #2 of 7

You can always do buttercream under the fondant, do whatever the bride likes the look of. I think Wilton sells gold leaves to put on the cake.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:00am
post #3 of 7

you can buy edible gold leaf to put on cakes, and i think you can find gold lustre dust too. ive seen gold stars available to buy online, so i imagine someone would have leaves as well!
as to fondant or buttercream, i find fondant easier to get looking good, but then again, i dont have much experience doing just butter cream cakes.
xx

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:28am
post #4 of 7

You can make the gold leaves yourself. Use your favourite leaf cutter on gumpaste (or fondant/gumpaste 50:50, or fondant + tylose powder or cmc), use a veiner to mark the veins. Leave them to dry for a couple of days. Then use some gold luster dust (availablel in cake decorating stores) diluted in a few drops of clear alcohol or vodka. Paint them with a fine brush (you may need more than one coat). If you do it this way you could also make some scrolls with royal icing and paint them too (after it dries).

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 7

use buttercream under the fondant. Buttercream is there for the taste, fondant is there for the look.

Bluesea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluesea Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

thank you all for the ideas.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 7

.....you can buy edible gold leaf to put on cakes......

This is not what she is looking for. Edible gold leaf is not readilly available in the U.S. and is *very!* expensive.
They are tissue paper thin sheets of real gold.

what ngfcake explained is the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%