Kid's Class

Decorating By funcakes Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 6:04am by kokopuff

funcakes Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 6

Our PTO wanted to have more after school clubs for our kids, so another teacher and I started a four week cake decorating club. We expected about a dozen 3rd and 4th graders. We accepted 24 kids and had to turn away 10 others with the promise to run the club again for them. So, today they decorated cupcakes as pumpkins and the turkeys from Hello Cupcake book. The kids were sooo happy with their work and were so excited through the whole hour. The turkeys were especially adorable.
So, thanks to all my friends at CC who helped me find the best practice for decorating-and maybe some of you guys will give classes like this too. What a joy for both the kids and teachers, and the PTO made some money too.

5 replies
kokopuff Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 6

I thought of diong this at my childrens school but I wasn't sure if I could since I am only a home baker for now,do you know if this matters?

terrylee Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:50am
post #3 of 6

I've been teaching cake decorating in our 4-H club for about 7 kids range from 7 to 18.....what a delight to work with. They have such creative imagations and are so excited to share their cakes and cupcakes with their families.

Isn't in fun to watch their creative minds working.

mamacc Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 6

I'm teaching a similar class right now. It's part of the school's before and after school enrichment.(4th & 5th grade) It's fun to teach...but I've found it hard to prep all the supplies. I have 21 kids in my class and that's a lot to bake for!!...Plus make enough BC for them all.

I've also been using the Hello cupcake book...Love that one! We made the "pup"cakes and those were really cute. I'm also going to do the wilton mini cupcake cake with them for our last project,

funcakes Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 6

kokopuff-I am sure it doesn't matter at all if you are a professional cake decorator. neither of us have even taken all the wilton lessons. We love to teach kids and we love cake decorating-that's all you really need.
It is great to team teach it. One of the most important things to do is to remember to "state the obvious" As I was doing the demonstrating, she was pointing out things I was doing and failed to tell them like-"look, do you all see how you put the frosting on the bottom of the spatuler. I bet you're used to spreading things by having it on the top of the knife" Duh! I would have never thought to point that out, and the kids probably wouldn't have noticed if she didn't draw there attention to it.

kokopuff Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:04am
post #6 of 6

Thanks,that is a funny story! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%