Butter Cream Frosting Help Needed For A "newbie"!!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 3:13am by akgirl10

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #1 of 9

Hi. I need a really good buttercream frosting recipe. I've tried several over the past 8 months and either they crust too much or not enough. Just wanted one or more from you very talented ladies. I'm just a new-comer to the cake world so I need all the help I can get.

One more thing: I want to use an impression mat using buttercream as well and would love some advice on that.

Thank you very much,
Marianne icon_smile.gif

8 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 9

I use sugarshacks. it is AMAZING

best tip for impression mat? let your BC crust for a while. like 1 hour.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:28am
post #4 of 9

I just got done using Sugarshack's recipe for the first time, and I really like it. It crusts just enough to do the trick, but it doesn't get crazy and 'cracky'. It also has kind of a silky finish so it is not greasy to the touch.

Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 4:41am
post #5 of 9

If you like the taste of the ones you have made you can play with the recipe to get it to crust as you want it to. The more fat (crisco or butter) the slower it crusts. The more powder sugar the faster it will crust.

lolobell Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 9

thank you everyone for you help. I'm excited to get started!

lolobell Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 9

can the butter cream recipe you are referring to, be stored at room temp or in the frig for any length of time?
And when I make fondant flowers OR royal icing flowers, how long can they be stored before using?
Thank

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 9

I know fondant/gumpaste flowers are fine for months. I would guess royal icing would be ok for a few weeks, at least.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #9 of 9

I really like sugarshack's recipe, I use half butter and half hi ration shortening.

Even royal icing flowers can be kept for a very long time. But they degrade if they are in contact with buttercream, so add the flowers as close to serving as possible. I've stored them in tupperware for a month. Keep them out of sunlight so they won't fade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%