How Many Serving For A Wedding Cake??

Decorating By vera Updated 25 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm by indydebi

vera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vera Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 4

When a customer sends out 150 invitations and is excepting to have 250-300 guest at the wedding. Would we do a cake to serve 250-300? I would hate for her to have alot of cake left over. Please help me on this matter.

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 4

You can always calculate that 10% of the guests either can't make it or some don't bother to reply...I wouldn't make cake for 250-300 unless there is other desserts served like squares,cookies etc..If the cake is the only dessert served then I would make a cake for the amount of guests that reply back.A little cake leftover is better than not having enough!! I come from a large Ukrainian family so we always make too much of everything! ha!ha!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 4

I use the formula that 75% of **invitees** will show. You make cake for that number. Just as there is a chair and a beverage, entree, and bread for everyone, there should be dessert for everyone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 4

My first impression is that she is overplanning. 150 invitations .... assuming most of those are to a Mr. and Mrs., so 2 people per invite. Some are singles ... some have kids, so it averages out. So theorectically, she invited 300-325, MAYBE 350, and she expects 300 to show? Aint' gonna happen.

I use a 60% Rule ... 60% of the total number invited will show unless bride/groom is active military or very involved in their church, or African-American. (Other ethnic races can be included in this, depending on your area .... my experiences have been with these three exceptions).

For her to have 300 show up, my theory is that she invited 500 people. Did she invite 500 people?

leahs is right. To order dinner for (for example) 300 and dessert for 250 is tacky as all git-out, not to mention illogical.

Bottom line: If she orders and pays for 300 servings, then you make and deliver 300 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%