Thomas The Tank Help

Decorating By deena1987 Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm by Kiddiekakes

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a Thomas The Tank from the wilton train pan does anyone have any tips for baking the cake? I have an older pan and it calls for 6 cups of batter but I don't want it to pop open the pan. Any suggestions?

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 7

Is this the snap together 3D train...with a steam vent hole.If so ...it takes about 1 and 1/2 of another cake mix.I would bake each half seperatley meaning laying flat side by side instead of together.It bakes more evenly and you can easily cut off the top to make it even.I have baked this pan several times and have had problems with the cake filling out one entire side.It is almost as if the backside won't rise.You can also tie butchers twine around it if you do clip both sides togther.This keeps the pan closed while it rises so it doesn't come apart. Fill the pan 2/3 full and it should be fine.HTH

Laurel icon_smile.gif

deena1987 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

Yep that's the pan. What could I do to the vent hole? I had thought about baking half and half and putting it together also. I think this would be the best way to go. Thanks.

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 7

Plug the vent hole with a bit of foil..that will keep the batter from seeping out.Then bake each half as usual.

deena1987 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks, Kiddiekakes. Any tips on putting it together? I was thinking buttercream icing in between the layers and toothpicks crossways. How do you do yours. I don't want it to fall over or come apart. I have so missed our website.

deena1987 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Kiddiekakes. Any tips on putting it together? I was thinking buttercream icing in between the layers and toothpicks crossways. How do you do yours. I don't want it to fall over or come apart. I have so missed our website.

Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 7

I just use Buttercream but I use 2 large wooden skewers and stick them in cross wise to hold the sides together.As long as you aren't travelling long distance with the cake it should be okay!!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%