Help! Baking Choc Squares Turned White!

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 9:35pm by PinkZiab

rocketmom1985 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make SeriousCakes chocolate buttercream. I opened the chocolate squares and they are white. I went ahead and melted them in the microwave and the white disappeared. Is the chocolate spoiled? I have found several differing opinions on a yahoo search. I will not be cooking the chocolate, it is going into the buttercream.

6 replies
chutzpah Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 7

It's just bloom. Use them anyway.

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7

Ditto what chutzpah said. The chocolate is perfectly safe to use.

smbegg Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 7

Chocolate does that after a while. Like the other posters said, it is perfectly fine to use. My chocolate chips do that all the time, but bake up or melt just fine. It is just older chocolate.

rocketmom1985 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your quick responses...I went ahead and used it. BC tastes fine. I guess I just hafta make more brownies in the future! Can't have old chocolate!

chutzpah Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 7

When chocolate blooms it doesn't necessarily mean that it is OLD. It was stored at the wrong temp, or had a shift in temperature that it didn't like.

PinkZiab Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 7

Cutzpah is right. Bloom has nothing to do with the age of the chocolate. There are two type of bloom:

Fat bloom are usually whitish/grey streaks or dots on the surface of the chocolate and is caused by extreme temperature fluctuation when your chocolate is being stored. It's also more likely to occur in poorly tempered chocolate, but can occur anytime the chocolate isn't stored properly.

Sugar Bloom is when moisture get on the chocolate and the water draws the sugar to the surface as it evaporates, leaving white dots of sugar crystals on the surface of the Chocolate.

Either bloom will not make the chocolate inedible, but will effect the texture and mouthfeel of the chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%