White Blotches In Glaze

Baking By ybpink Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm by ThreeDGirlie

ybpink Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 8

So is it the general thought that temperature is the cause of the White blotches in glaze?

Have seen that it is:
* too much water
* not mixed well
* cold temperature when drying
* better with corn syrup

I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem, but find nothing consistent to be the cause.

I help make about 250 dozen sugar cookies for a church Christmas cookie sale, so needless to say it is very frustrating to watch my cookies get blotchy as they are drying.

7 replies
Honeydukes Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 8

What recipe are you using? Are you talking about Toba Garrett's Glace' or some other?
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html
Many of us have found that adding white gel helps eliminate blotches. King Arthur's cookie book says your glaze will spot if there is too much milk. Try the white and see if that helps.

eatdessert1st Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 8

Make sure it stays well mixed... I found that whisking it thoroughly before applying it to each cookie has solved that problem for me. It does tend to separate a bit.

HTH,
Mel Mc.

ybpink Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 8

I've used Toba Garrett's glace. Because of the spotting I have experimented with other recipes, with milk, with water, with and without corn syrup

Star reject-cookie with bad glaze
this is with Toba's
[http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/3042398222_4ae68ea0d3_m.jpg][/url]

Peeverly Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 8

Do try the whitener. I used Wiltons (you can get it at Michaels). It is called icing whitener is very inexpensive and takes the opaque out of the icing. I think it will solve your problem.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 8

That looks like sugar crystallizing to me. Does your recipe have Cream of Tartar in it? That is used to inhibit crystallization...

ybpink Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 8

My cookie recipe has cream of tartar---are you saying that is reacting with the icing? I have wondered if that might be the case.

I haven't tried the whitener

I use the Vanilla Butter Rollouts recipe from Taste of Home

1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbls vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tea baking soda
1 tea cream of tartar

Refrig. 1/2 hr--roll out Bake at 350 deg for 8 min. Makes 7 dozen

ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 8

No, the Cream of Tartar is supposed to STOP this from happening. I'm stumped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%