Orange Cake W/ Orange Icing...

Baking By Melan Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm by Callyssa

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! My grandfather requested an orange cake with orange flavored icing for Thanksgiving... This is something he use to have as a young boy. Does anyone have a good recipe that they have tried? I'd love to be able to make him one! Thanks!!

9 replies
Melan Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone? I'm getting kind of desperate!

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 10

You could look in the WBH or you could PM me for the recipe.

Melan Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 10

WBH?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 10

i would just add the zest of an orange to the plain sponge (i normally chuck in a bit of the juice too, not too much though) you normally do, and add juice and/ or zest to the icing. usually one orange will do it!
xx

jean621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jean621 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 10

I've made this cake several times - it's wonderful, very refreshing and citrusy. I don't know if it's what you are looking for but it's worth the effort. I use a microplane for the zest so it's very fine.

Lemon Orange Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cup sugar
5 eggs
3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

frosting:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp orange peel, grated
2 tbsp lemon peel, grated
1 tsp lemon extract
5 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time beating
well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients: add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir in extracts. Pour into three greased and floured
9-in, cake pans. Bake at 350 deg. for 25-30 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool for 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting, beat butter in a mixing bowl until fluffy; add the next five ingredients and mix well. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until frosting has desired spreading consistency. Spread between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 1-9" cake.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 10

Hi! ... WBH is short for the book titled The Whimsical Bake House. icon_smile.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 10

I've used a yellow cake mix, substituted the water with oj and added some orange zest. I've then taken my basic buttercream recipe, substituted oj for the water and flavoring and added orange zest. Not very creative, but it was quick, easy and popular.

Melan Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!!!!! you are all life savers!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 10

My husband asks for this every year for his birthday. I can't remember which brand but someone makes an orange supreme cake mix. I've always just used that and add extra orange extract, then orange extract to my buttercream. Not my favorite, but he loves it and so do the kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%