How To Make Whipped Cream A Little Thicker For Pies?????

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 25 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm by -Tubbs

Cookies4kids Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 8

I want to use real whipped cream for my Thanksgiving pies and I need to keep it for two meals. I had heard that if you beat in a Tbs. of instant vanilla pudding mx it will make the end product a little more stable and it will stand up nicer. Anyone done this or have a tip to make your whipped cream a little more stable?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 8

I just beat it to a stiff peak and it keeps for hours and hours in the fridge.

nanikins Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 8

leahs - do you sweeten your whipped cream with granulated or confectioner's sugar (or at all)? I have heard that confectioner's sugar will help with stability, too.

Mike1394 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 8

10x PS, but if you put so much in for it to stabilize it would be to sweet. Whipping to the correct stage would be the best. there are commercial stabilizers, plus there is the gelatin route.

Fahina Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 8

I always use one box of instant pudding (any flavor) and and whipping cream. It holds up quite well. These are my measurments:

1 box of pudding mix (usually the Wal-Mart family size)
1 quart of heavy whipping cream and beat until stiff.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 8

Butter is solid right? Whipped cream turns to butter if whipped too much. So the object of the game is to whip it so that it is still whipped cream but has that nice stability that God put in there in the first place. No need to mess with stabilizers.

Hey--buy more cream than you need--take that extra portion and be willing to whip it to butter--set a timer to 15 minutes and then whip your cream to butter, watch it all the while and record it so you can see what happens when. Next time back it off a few moments and have beautiful stable whipped cream.

(I prefer "wa-la" but don't want to irritate Pink Z <heart>

Some creamy thoughts for you.

leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 8

k8's got it. You whip and then stop right BEFORE it turns to butter. The trick is knowing that point.

-Tubbs Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 8

I like to add about a tbs of icing sugar and a dash of vanilla when I whip cream. Makes it extra yummy. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%