Non Wilton Cake Supplies Used In Wilton Gp Class- Ideas?

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm by xstitcher

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:45am
post #1 of 9

I plan to take the Wilton Gumpaste next weekend. What non Wilton items can I use? I plan to buy the kit but other cc members used plastic pipe cleaner for rolling pin. Vinyl quilting mat for cutting. Make your own fondant verses Wilton brand?

I want to save money and just only buy the kit. If any cc members have taken the class please give me the only necessary items you purchased for the class? Thank you.

8 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 9

I took the class this summer but was already working with gumpaste so I had some stuff already. I did not buy the mat they use, I use vinyl from Wal-mart. I used 2" pvc cut into a 2' length for a rolling pin and didn't buy Wilton's. I used Satin Ice fondant instead of Wilton. I felt like I was the rebel in class. I already had most of the tools they use. If I already had something that worked, I didn't buy it just for the class. I also had my $20 tackle box from Wal-Mart that held alot more than the Wilton case does. The second class, 2 more people with the same tackle box. LOL It worked for me and I guess they thought it was cool.

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

I made my own fondant. I brought my own wooden rolling pin. I didn't use fanci foil to cover my cake board before covering it with fondant - I used tin foil (worked just as well). They shouldn't care that you don't have Wilton stuff. If they do, tell them you are just there to learn how to do it, not buy into Wilton stock. You only need to buy the class and the kit. I was ticked because I did buy the color fondant, because I thought we would need it - we really didn't. I could have used my own fondant. There were a couple of other things I bought that I was ticked about (but it has been almost 2 years, so I don't remember what). Buy what you think you need, bring what you already have. And, for the love of all the people that will be eating your cake, don't use the Wilton fondant. YUCK! icon_biggrin.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 9

When you sign up for the class you should have recieved a class sylabus that lets you know what you will need for the first night of class. If you did not get one go back and ask. As an instructor I don't care what brand of supplies/tools students bring to class as long as they pay for the class, have the kit and are prepared. You are there to learn the Wilton Method and and hopefully have fun doing it. Most students buy Wilton products and bring in others too. Again, I don't care as long as they are prepared to learn and have fun.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #5 of 9

Same here! I also teach and tell my students not to buy what they don't need. I also pass out the recipe for MMF and tell my students to use the Wilton fondant for playing with and cover the cake your gonna eat with the good stuff.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #6 of 9

Same here! I also teach and tell my students not to buy what they don't need. I also pass out the recipe for MMF and tell my students to use the Wilton fondant for playing with and cover the cake your gonna eat with the good stuff.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:11am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendabug

When you sign up for the class you should have recieved a class sylabus that lets you know what you will need for the first night of class. If you did not get one go back and ask. As an instructor I don't care what brand of supplies/tools students bring to class as long as they pay for the class, have the kit and are prepared. You are there to learn the Wilton Method and and hopefully have fun doing it. Most students buy Wilton products and bring in others too. Again, I don't care as long as they are prepared to learn and have fun.

If you were not given the syllabus you can grab it from my website (linked in the web tab below this post). thumbs_up.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:29am
post #8 of 9

Carol-

Thanks! With the 40 % coupons from Joanne and Michaels I purchased the kit and basic items.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 9

You could always call the store and as them to have the instructor call you. For me it depended on the instructor. Some don't care what you have but others insist that it is all Wilton so they have the same consistency for all items.

I never bought the large roller just used my regular wooden one from home, I used vinyl as well but our instructor insisted on Wilton fondant and gum paste. I also bought some foil paper from the dollar store that was super thin instead of buying the candy foil for the RI flowers. I can't remember what else was needed right now but if I find my book I'll definitely take a look and reply again!

Have fun in class!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%