Edible Image Help?

Decorating By KrissieCakes Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm by tiggy2

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:06am
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on using/purchasing edible images. I am going to try to make my FIL's 70th bday cake and I would like to make one of the tiers be a black and white picture collage. Here are my questions:

1. Is is silly to ask a bakery if you can just purchase an edible image from them? One made from your own pictures? If that is a bad thing to do, is there somewhere that I could order edible images?
2. Is it better to apply the image to fondant or buttercream or does it really matter?
3. Lastly, if I want the collage look, should I make the collage to be printed out that way, or should I print out a bunch of pictures and piece them together on the cake in a collage format?

Any helpful hints would be appreciated!! Oh yeah...as a newbie, am I getting in over my head with these? Are they difficult to work with?

THANK YOU!!!

3 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 4

1. A bakery will print it for you from your pictures. 2. It doesn't matter which you apply it to, just how you apply it. If using buttercream apply before it crust (if using crusting BC). If using fondant you will need o brush it VERY lightly with water before applying the edible image. 3. I would make the collage to be printed out the way you want it as they will charge you by the sheet. 4. If you have any trouble getting the image off the bcking just put it in the freezer for 5 minutes and it will peel right off. Be very carful not to get any water on it or the ink will run. Once it's on te cake you can smooth it with your hands. I usually pu a paper towel over it just to be sure I don't get any frosing on it (if using BC).

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 4

You're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%