Icing Question

Decorating By countrygal7782 Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 3:54am by Banana0501

countrygal7782 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 3

Ok guys I am having a problem and I am hoping someone out there will be able to help me.
The last couple times I have made buttercream icing then added color paste to it, the icing has done some pretty strange things. It seems like the icing is seperating or something. It looks like the shorting and powder sugar seperate and then there are white streeks through out the icing. I really looks horrable. I have tried adding powder sugar, corn startch and even cocoa powder to darker colors to try and reverse what ever is going on thinking that the icing was to watery, but nothing is working. I even tried adding more white icing in to what I colored thinking that I added too much coloring, but that didnt work either. I noticed that it will still break down even if I only add a touch of coloring to the icing.
I dont have any idea what I am doing wrong. The icing recipe I use is 1 cup Crisco, 2lbs powder sugar, 1/2 tsp. each clear vanilla and butter, dash of salt, & 1/4 to 1/2 cup water as needed.
Please if anyone has any ideas as to what to do they would be much appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.

2 replies
seagoat Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 3

Huh? Not sure what's causing that! What type of coloring are you using? It only seperates when you add color? Is your streaking like white balls, like the color isn't mixed in all the way? Any pictures you could show us? I have no clue what would cause this...

Giving you a bump, hopefully someone on here can.

Banana0501 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 3

Very interesting results you are getting. I believe your proportions may be out of wack!. Try 1 cup crisco to 1 lb powdered sugar, 1/2 ea vanilla and butter and 3 tbls water or milk. Cream criso first, then add sifted sugar in thirds, between the 2nd and third addition of sugar add your flavoring, after that is all creamed together add one tbls milk or water at a time until you acheive the consistency you are looking for. Then add your coloring. The streaking sounds like to shortning and sugar aren't creamed together completely. Also, how old is you coloring - that can make a world of difference. This is the first time I've responded to a posting - hope it helps. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%