Tough Day To Be A Cake Decorator Kinda Long Sorry

Decorating By TheCornerBakery Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 3:42am by Denise

TheCornerBakery Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 9

Hi to all,
I am posting this to see if in some way it helps others not make the same mistake...

After many successful cake deliveries I had my first cake disaster today..

It started with the bride who was an amazing person to work with but she wanted a Red Velvet cake with her words " tons of fresh strawberries, and Bavarian cream..

As I was building the cake I went against all my experience and schooling to put that much 8 lbs. of fresh strawberries plus the cream plus the cream cheese..

The cake was looking so beautiful today a 12", 10",8" square stacked like a Winter Wonderland with a fantasitc fluffy bow and sugar snow flakes..

As I was driving to my first cake ( I had two) I saw a crack in the cake when I gazed back in the rear view mirror icon_cry.gif When I got to my first destination about 5 minutes from that point I saw it had began to sink from the weight and the fact that the stawberry juices turned the cake to mush..

I called the wedding planner and told her what had happened and I rushed to fix the cake with a little over a hour left before the bride came into the room..

I was able to fix the top two layers and make a new cake gathering the ingredients from Publix.. for the third layer the 12" square. .whch I kept in back for a kitchen cake..

I had my STRESS FREE CAKE SUPPORTS thrown away a couple weeks ago by a caterer that refused to pay me so I was stupid not to go ahead and order a new set which I always use and love them to death thumbs_up.gif

The moral of this story is to never let a bride dicate to us as bakers what is against classic baking and cake decoratoring.. I should of told her that amount of fresh strawberries was going to leave a pile of wet slop as a cake but I got caught up trying to be accomidating and going against my gut feeling when I was should of known better...

I hope you all would get something out of this and thanks for reading..

I feel so sick about this as I always knew the tremendous pressure we are under. It sucks that I had to learn a very hard lesson today..

MIchael Anthony

8 replies
cakedesigner59 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 9

I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles, Michaelanthony. I agree that this is a good lesson for us all to learn. We are the professionals, and our brides rely on us to tell them what will and will not work. Sounds like you saved the day, however. Can you post a picture, or is it too painful for you?

tasteebakes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 9

So sorry that happened to you...

Besides agreeing to things we know shouldn't be done, I also learned the hard way not to do wedding cakes in mediums I don't feel comfortable working with or don't think will work.

I bent to a bride who insisted she had to have because she only liked whipped icing in August in the south! Plus it was solid white. I felt like it looked like it had made with whipped cream!

I learned that I do not do whipped icing wedding cakes and I do not let the bride talkk me into it!

annacakes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 9

My heart goes out to you Michaelanthony. You had all the best intentions, trying to accommodate your bride. I will remember and learn. Thanks.

loriemoms Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #5 of 9

I am sorry to hear this happen as well....and it is a good lesson! And I can relate...it is SO frustrating too! I am currently having a battle with a bride now, because she only had a little edge of her cake at her wedding and it was all buttercream dam (also a cake with a fruit filling) and she claimed that she didnt get the right filling! (I Keep VERY careful notes) I have asked her to ask her guests if they had fruit filling, but she said she doesnt feel the little edge she had gotten should not have been buttercream, that it should have had fruit filling to the very edge. Do we need to know start teaching brides how cake is made ? Its crazy!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:57am
post #6 of 9

So sorry that happened.

Now that it's over (except the crying, grieving and gut wrenching self examination) and not that you didn't know this already but I just thought I'd make a couple comments. Using a real sharp knife helps strawberries to not juice out as bad.

And did you see this other thread??
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610909-.htmlLooks like it was meant for you.

cakedesigner59 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I am sorry to hear this happen as well....and it is a good lesson! And I can relate...it is SO frustrating too! I am currently having a battle with a bride now, because she only had a little edge of her cake at her wedding and it was all buttercream dam (also a cake with a fruit filling) and she claimed that she didnt get the right filling! (I Keep VERY careful notes) I have asked her to ask her guests if they had fruit filling, but she said she doesnt feel the little edge she had gotten should not have been buttercream, that it should have had fruit filling to the very edge. Do we need to know start teaching brides how cake is made ? Its crazy!

I'm just dumfounded...I'm sitting here trying to imagine what that bride's life must be like, if she is worried over not having a spoonful of fruit in her wedding cake. Gosh, I feel sorry for her husband.

Denise Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #8 of 9

so sorry this happened to you. I don't mind saying "no" and telling them why.

The "why" is any cake that has the potential to crash, turn into a sloppy mess, lean, etc. is a reflection on me.

I had a bride here last week wanting big single tier cakes to stack on top of really tall candle holders that resembled huge wine goblets. I said "no" and explained that if the vases/candleholders fell over, collapsed, broked, etc. she would be out $800 of cake that she couldn't serve to her guests and that it would reflect on me for NOT letting her know that this was a plan that could go seriously wrong. She opted for a stacked cake and now I will do her wedding. I flat out refused to do a cake with a design a bride wanted one time because I thought it was a recipe for disaster and one that would have reflected on me - not the bride.

It is our job as a decorator to let people know that what can be accomplished at home in a single layer cake that is basically a triffle - can't be done in stacked and transported wedding cake!!

Sorry this happened to you. I would have been as upset as you are so I feel for you!

Denise Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #9 of 9

She was upset over the filling not to the edge? Geez louise....and we work so hard to keep the fillings in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%