Same Price Story, Different Customer

Business By Mac Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 1:41pm by Santa_Kitchen

Mac Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 12

I received an email from a young lady in Hawaii about a Little Einstein cake. She had found one on another website--the Rocket sitting on top of a 1/4 sheet cake--in other words--a 3D cake. (She was going to be in my town the week of the birthday in 2 weeks--it's her hometown).

She asked if I could make a Rocket cake for $45.00. I sent her a pic of the one that I make for that price. She sends back another email that my Rocket cake was cute but she really had her heart set on the 3D one like the pic she sent me.

I replied that I could make it but it would be considerably more than $45.00. I told her that my sculpted cakes started at $150.00. Her response was: "no thanks, $150 is too much for a birthday cake!"
I just had to laugh. Ya know, you have some people that say that and then you have the customers that don't even blink when you tell them that price.

I sent her a response that I understood and gave her the names of 2 other businesses that do specialty cakes but told her that it was short notice here at the holidays and they were probably booked and more than likely, their prices would be more than she wanted to spend. Maybe it was tacky of me, but dang it--people need to understand that you can't get a specialty cake at a Wal-mart price.

11 replies
karateka Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

Good for you.

I had my heart set on a Ferrari 340 gts....but didn't want to spend 100K on a car. So I ended up with a Buick. Go figure....

Rocketgirl899 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #3 of 12

lol at Karateka!

Mac Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 12

Oh my gosh, that is too funny!
It would have been REALLY tacky but that would have been the ideal thing to say...HaHaHa!

tinygoose Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of 12

No one ever seems to complain that the clown, lady dressed up as Cinderella, musical entertainer, etc is $175-300 for 45 min to 90 minutes, of course you cant' buy them at costco for $20 bucks, either, but I bet if you could they would only be cheap, inflatable clowns that loaded with a bunch of hot air and loads of trans fat. icon_wink.gif

sari66 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 12

LOL you did right by letting her go

Deb_ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 12

The way I look at it is...........Some will pay $1000 for a Coach bag without blinking an eye.........others will pay $45 for a fake Coach and be just as happy. Let her pay $45 at Wal-mart for her "fake" Einstein cake.......she'll be just as happy because she's never had one of your "designer cakes", so she doesn't know what she's missing. Not everyone can afford "designer" prices and that's o.k. Good for you for not lowering your prices to accomodate her. icon_smile.gif

korkyo Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #8 of 12

Ha HA!! I had one that diden't want to spend 125.00 for a cake. Ok fine, but her reason was that they were already were spending a lot of money on the poney and bouncy thing and the entertainment and thought that much on the cake would be "just too much" for the party. Go figure.

korkyo Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #9 of 12

Sorry, typo, that was a pony!!

Mac Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:01am
post #10 of 12

Yes, I've heard that one, too!
"I have put out so much on this party and $XX is just more than I need to spend." Huh?????

B. Keith Ryder has a great saying on his website..."If it's special enough to celebrate, it's special enough for a custom designed cake."

diane706 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 12

I'm getting ready to open my bakery and thinking SERIOUSLY of having my temporary banner say something like..."Classy Cakes... when your special occasion requires more than a supermarket cake"!!!!!!!! That ought to turn away the penny pinchers!! AAAAAHHHHHHH. It's so frustrating, isn't it?? People have NO idea what goes into a designer cake especially one that's carved and ends up looking like the real thing. I refuse to let people talk me down. (O.K. SOMETIMES I can be a softy for the really nice people who seem super appreciative!). icon_lol.gif

Santa_Kitchen Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 12

Clients make me feel like Einstein. They ask so many stupid stuff and happens all the time. As recently as this week, a possible customer came by with a picture of the cake that he wants (3 tier all fondant) for quote and them email me with more photos. He knows my prices, because his bf is my client. So, I email him the quote. He wants to die. How in this world you want a 3 tier cake 6"8"10", for $50. Are you kidding me? And when he came he told me about making it bigger. Oh my Lord, even if I use dommy cakes will not be that cheap!!! I send him a nice email telling him that he knows my prices already and telling him what he can get for $50. He replied accepting what I offer, anyways I will not die if he don't buy my cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%