I Need Some Help....

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm by hwnhulahands

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 8

with an idea for a cake. I am doing a cake for a nonprofit organization coming up on December 14th. It is for military families and those that support the military. They are paying alot of respect to those that went to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight in war. The theme is "Saluting The Military". It has to feed 150-200 people. She says to "go crazy with it" and if possible "incorporate Santa" with the deco of the cake. I had an idea but I really don't think I would be able to pull that one off so I am asking anyone with any great ideas and what size pans would be good. I am not doing sheet cakes so that is out of the question. Thank you in advance.

7 replies
dcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcakes27 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 8

Ok well for the santa part I think you could dress santa like the military instead of the red suit, I know is not traditional but it just came to me. About the size, I just saw the wilton website has a guide for wedding cake serving sizes, all of the cakes are tiered, they have sketches for different designs, maybe you could use those as a reference for making your cake, the designs already include the amount of servings, you would have to adjust the design to your needs. Hope this helps. Good luck. Dulce

hwnhulahands Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:47am
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much. Anyone with ideas about the design of the cake?

hwnhulahands Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #4 of 8

bump

dcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcakes27 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 8

Hello again. Well I was thinking about the design of your cake, maybe you could do a square cake and on each corner you could put marzipan or fondant people saluting according to each branch of the military, then you could put another square or round cake and add some other military related decorations like the hats or caps I don't know what they called them for each branch too. I guess you would have to add another tier and then put the santa somewhere to feed 150 persons. Hope you understand what I am saying. You could use the military colors with some christmas too. Good luck

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 8

I think a couple of large flags sticking out on top would be cool, and/or some of those sparkler thingies. You could use gold stars made out of MMF on it. I love the Santa in cammo idea. Good luck.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 8

I think a square tiered cake decorated to look like stacked presents. Fondant tags on the presents can read "To: All military families--Peace on Earth" and another "From: Santa"

It would be cool to decorate the board with red fondant to look like the presents are in Santa's sack. It looks good in my head, can you picture it? Not sure I described it well enough. Draped red fondant around the bottom to look like a sack?

Maybe you can have a fondant Santa saluting the flag?

hwnhulahands Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your wonderful ideas. I can totally picture them. I love it. I really like the idea of having the different branches of military and also the fondant draped around to make it look like it's inside santas bag. Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%