I Need Everyones Opinion On My Website Please!

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 25 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm by EnjoyTheCake

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 16

I would really appreciate it! Critique away!!

www.lcakedesigns.com

15 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 16

You have a good start. I really liked the airplane cake. That was cool. I think you should add something about flavors that you offer all the choices that are out there. I like your home page. simple and clean. Go visit a lot of cake sites, and see what you like about them, try to incorporate many things into your own style. You will get there I like the start you have. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:42am
post #3 of 16

This is a great start! I would agree with the previous post that I like how clean and neat it is. One thing that I did on my website is have a separate page for flavors and fillings. I think that is helpful for potential clients to see. you can look at mine if you like icon_biggrin.gif www.freewebs.com/sweettemptationbakery

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 16

Pretty site. I would recommend a little something about pricing on there, even if it's just a basic $x-$x per serving price range. I would also recommend a separate spot for flavors instead of including them in your About Me section. It's a nice start, though, and you definitely have talent. It's hard to believe you've been decorating less than a year.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 16

Very nice, simple, clean.

I love the handwriting on the "Happy Birthday" cake.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 16

You've got a great start on your site!

I agree with mommicakes- check out other sites to see what components you like and want to incorporate.

My suggestions:
Every photo should link back to your cake gallery. Link the photos on the home page to the photo gallery.

The home page should have some sort of wording on it. This might be a good place to explain to your customers what kind of cakes they can order from you "I specialize in everyday occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, baby showers and the like. I enjoy what I do and I believe that translates into my cakes. Feel free to peruse the picture gallery to see cakes I've made in the past and maybe you'll find one you'd like for yourself or have your own design in mind and I will do what I can to make it for you! " (the words "Picture Gallery" should also link back to the gallery page

Have a separate page for ordering info/menu. This will be a clear place for people to find your flavors. They could easily get lost in the about me page.

It might not be a bad idea to dedicate one phone number for cake orders. This way, you can update your voicemail message or choose to turn this off during holidays or important family events.

You have so really amazing cakes in your gallery. There are a few however that look like they might be from your early decorating days, not a elaborate as some of the others. With having so many great cakes, you can be choosy. Not every cake needs to be on the website (which was hard for me to come to grips with icon_smile.gif )

Hope this helps! I love looking at other people's sites and getting ideas.

Was the slideshow offered from Vista print, or did you have to "add it in"?

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 1:16am
post #7 of 16

icon_surprised.gif WOW on the spiderman cake..

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 1:32am
post #8 of 16

I love your website. Its very simple and clean. Very elegant too. I do agree with everyone above. You should add separate page for flavors and something about pricing. For the pricing you can put starting prices per serving or at least put something to the effect of "please call for a quote" or "prices vary based on size, shape, and detail, contact me for a quote" Maybe not in those words, but you get the idea. Well I hope that helps and good luck!!

DragonFly2333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DragonFly2333 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 1:34am
post #9 of 16

Only decorating since March of 2008 ...Where you've been hiding the talent?!

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #10 of 16

Ok....this will be the 2nd time I'm trying to reply!!! Right after I hit submit and after typing a looong paragraph, the site went down.....AGAIN.
I wanted to thank everyone for their input! I made some changes to my site so I would appreciate it if you ladies would revisit and check to see if I've improved it or not!!!
As for talking about pricing....I'm in NC, so no, I don't need to be licensed, but I DO need to be inspected. I'm doing this from home for now, so I'm trying not to mention pricing too much!
Again, thanks to everyone for the input and compliments!!!! So, here goes, I'm hitting submit...hope it works!!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:39am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Very nice, simple, clean.

I love the handwriting on the "Happy Birthday" cake.

Me too!!!! I love it! Your site looks great also!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:05am
post #12 of 16

It looks good I would just add some of the things the others have posted. Also pricing is a good thing! Since you're in NC get inspected for your home kitchen and cake on!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:19am
post #13 of 16

I am in NC also! I would definitely include pricing. It is so easy to have your kitchen inspected and then you have peace of mind knowing that you are totally legal.

Great website!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:39am
post #14 of 16

I didn't notice the pricing thing until people started mentioning it. I guess if I had wanted to order a cake from you I would have just asked when I contacted you.

My suggestion covers the About Me page. Your message seems a little awkward to read. The majority of the sentences in the first paragraph start with 'I', and that can really break up the flow. I would try to combine a few of those sentences. If you'd like I could help you edit it, I always do this for my husband when he has to prepare a presentation for work. Writing is kinda a hobby for me when I'm not decorating.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 16

I just clicked on the link and when your site opened up my husband said "hey that's the picture from your business card!" I did a double take and he was right. icon_lol.gif

After looking at your gallery you definately have cakes in your personal gallery that qualify for front page viewing instead of stock photos.

I'd toss the stock photos into the recycle bin and put your own work on the front page. thumbs_up.gif

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #16 of 16

I like the design you chose, it's the same one i have on my business cards from Vista Print.

There is an awkward sentence on your flavors page.

Quote:
Quote:

I also make my own buttercream icing and I can flavor it any one of these flavors!

The part the bothers me is "I can flavor it any one of these flavors!" It seems correct but awkward somehow.

I really hate that I can't get any information from the home page, just 3 pictures that don't really tell me anything about the cakes or the artist.

Another oddly worded sentence is

Quote:
Quote:

To make your cake takes time and patience!

from your About Me page. Again, it's probably grammatically proper but it's awkward somehow.

Also, I don't know what your rules are for manufacture, but you might want to include that you are licensed (or whatever your county requires) to offer the goods and services you are offering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%