Coconut Cake Help!

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 1:59pm by susanscakecreations

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 6

My husbands' best friend is turning 50, and his wife has asked me to do his cake..........she wants a 3 tier, white with black fondant cake, but she wants a coconut cake! I was just thinking of doing a coconut filling between the torted layers, but if I use cream cheese or sour cream, how far in advance can I do this? Since it will be covered in fondant, I'm unsure about the time and all since I can't refrigerate the fondant................any suggestions? or good/different coconut filling recipes??????

Thanks!
Susan

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 6

How about using coconut milk in place of the regular milk in your recipe? Don't use the low fat....

Also, I'm going to experiment with using half coconut oil/half butter for the fat in my white cake recipe, to see if that adds more coconut flavor than just coconut milk. So that's another idea.

There are sleeve fillings that are coconut flavored, and they taste rather like a Mound's bar filling. YUM.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

I use my normal white cake recipe, toast some coconut and throw it in with a few drop (or more) of coconut flavoring. Coconut cake - done!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 6

I do my coconut cake the same as leahs -- I find if I soak the coconut in the milk (of whatever you use as your liquid for your white cakes) for a while, it makes a very tender, soft cake with a lot of flavor.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 6

If you use the WASC recipe, instead of vanilla pudding use coconut cream pudding! I also put a little "sprinkle" of pudding in my icing as well.

Beth in KY

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much for the help! I knew I could count on some wonderful answers!!!!

Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%