Crumb Coating Help

Decorating By Emmakitty Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm by kakeladi

Emmakitty Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 3

I have my first order for a cake and with my previous cakes, I have had some real problems with crumbs and getting them in the icing. I would love any suggestions on how to prevent this and then also, if someone could tell me how to crumb coat as I know this is one thing I could do.

Thanks from a newbie!

2 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 3

Crumb coat is simply the very first coat of icing you put on. Uusally applied thinkly, it acts to hold down the crumbs, fill in the gaps where your layers show, and even it out for a polished surface to apply your final decorating layer of buttercream.

There are many many threads in here devoted to crumb coating, just start searching them out. Many methods as well. Also, on www.youtube, there are lots of instructional videos.

Every single time that I have had problems with crumbs in my icing, was either from not putting a good enough crumb coat and/or not letting it firm up in the fridge, OR dipping the spatula back into the bowl of frosting without wiping off the crumbs while doing the crumb coat. Sometimes portioning out enough icing into a smaller bowl to use for crumbcoating helps avoid this. That way you can't possibly contaminate the rest of the icing when you go to put the final coat on. HTH

kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 3

There is no trick to crumb coatingicon_smile.gif Just apply a thinner than normal coating of icing. Usually one can still see cake color thru it but you will know it is completely covered. Some people let this dry (at room temp! NOT in the frig.) for 30 minutes but that depends on the icing recipe you are using. It should be dry to the touch in no more than 10 minutes. Just touch the cake in several places; if it comes off on your finger it needs to dry longer.
Now apply you icing using the quick icer tip (that big wide jobber);
smooth w/you spatula or a bench scraper. This does not mean taking off icing. If you remove more than just a light scraping you are pressing too hard. If you can have the cake on a turntable all you have to do is use one hand to hold the spatula against the icing and the other turns the turntable so that you make one complete revelution around the cake w/o ever stopping. Once around should give you a very smooth cake.
The more you play with it trying to smooth it out the more it will get messed up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%