Pricing For Red Velvet Cakes And Making Early?

Decorating By Sophiecakes Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm by scrabblemomof1

Sophiecakes Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

do you charge more for red velvet cakes? (wedding cakes)
can you make the red velvet cake and/or the cream cheese icing in advance or will they go bad quicker?

5 replies
PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 6

I do not charge more for any particular flavor of cake. You can make them a few days in advance, but cream cheese icing must be refrigerated. Depending how far ahead you make the cakes you might want to freeze them as well.

Mencked Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

Because my red velvet cake is totally from scratch, I charge .75/serving more for it than I do for my basic flavors--Many of the basic cake flavors I offer are enhanced box mixes. I haven't found that my red velvet dries out any quicker than any other cakes, but freezing won't do it any harm and sometimes makes it even more moist! Ditto on refigerating the cream cheese icing and no problem with making it ahead of time!

Sophiecakes Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 6

Would you make and ice the cake a day ahead of time and refrigerate or would you ice the morning of?? (I think that would make me very nervous!) How long can a cake with cream cheese icing sit out before serving? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm stressing a bit! icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 6

I usually fill and ice my cakes 2 days ahead of the delivery date, because I allow all of my cakes to settle overnight after filling before I cover them with fondant and also, because the day before is when I do all of my fondant and decorating so it is completely finished the night BEFORE it is to be delivered. But if you are only icing it (no fondant) then yes I would do it the day before.

scrabblemomof1 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 6

I just delivered a Red Velvet cake with Cream cheese icing this past weekend. I baked the cake the day before, it had cream cheese icing and filling, then covered it with fondant and refrigerated the whole thing overnight. With my scratch recipes I try to bake and decorate it as close to the date as possible so it'll be fresh. But I would definately refrigerate the whole thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%