When Do I Add Color To Candy Clay? And How To Get "fles

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 7:04pm by HASJBS

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 13

When making candy clay, when do I add color? (Assuming I'm not using colored candy melts.) Also, can basic Wilton gel colors be used to color candy clay?

And how do I get "flesh" color candy clay? (Although, to be totally politically correct, I guess I mean peachy color.)

THANKS!

12 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 13

I would color it when the chocolate melts are melted.

Also, I don't think you can use the Wilton gel colors for chocolate as it will probably seize up before you even get to the point of adding the corn syrup. The gel colors are water based. You can get candy colors (oil based) that are meant specifically for coloring chocolates and other candies.

As for getting the right color...I have no idea, but maybe someone else does. icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 13

You cannot use the wilton gel colors alone... yet you can get what is called ColorFlow from CK products that will allow you to take any gel/liquid color and turn it into an oil based colorant.

To get the flesh tone color I use the Copper from Wilton w/ the color flow

W/o the wilton... not sure... light pink with a small amount of brown or
yellow, white and a bit of red? (works for portraits)

http://www.bkcompany.com/default3.htm
For all other color questions this might be useful in the future icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 13

For candy clay you can use your regular icing colors. If you're working with melted candy you can't.

For the flesh copper is what you need.

mbelgard Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 13

For candy clay you can use your regular icing colors. If you're working with melted candy you can't.

mbelgard Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 13

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 13

americolor sells something similar called Flo-Coat that allows you to use gel colors in chocolate......so much easier and less expensive than trying to by two different types of color in EVERY color that you use!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 13

americolor sells something similar called Flo-Coat that allows you to use gel colors in chocolate......so much easier and less expensive than trying to by two different types of color in EVERY color that you use!!
However I just wanted to say that I have successfully added americolor gel colors directly to the chocolate clay just as though it were fondant after it was completely mixed and cooled and it worked fine and I added quite a bit for tsome cookies covered in red.
LL

HASJBS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HASJBS Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 13

Is candy clay the same consistency as fondant? How do you make it? I have a lot of people talk about it but I can't seem to find a recipe for it. I =

HASJBS Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 13

Sorry the computer was giving me problems! I would love to try it sometime. Thanks for the help!!!

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 13

I just made 2 batches of candy clay. It is 1 bag of wilton candy melts (which I think are 14 oz) and I use just a bit less than 1/3 cup of corn syrup. You melt the candy in a double boiler and then stir in the corn syrup until it sort of seizes up. Poor it into a wax paper lined container to cool. After it cools completely, place into a ziplock bag overnight. It will be hard the next day. Break off small pieces and work them until they become play doh like. You can add the color at this time, I use the wilton gel colors and add and work it until I get the color I want. I wear gloves when I do this part. Once the color is all mixed in, it doesn't come off on your hands anymore. It does get a bit soft when you are working with it, but you just need to set it aside for a few seconds and it will firm up. I love the stuff. I made a bunch of penguins last night and they were so stinking easy! Serious_Cakes on here has some awesome you tube videos and one of them has the candy clay how to. My kids love to play with it and build stuff with it, then they can eat it!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HASJBS Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks a bunch! I am going to have to try this soon and see what I can do with it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%