Need Help Getting Icing To Turn With Buttercream Icing

Decorating By mommyandme08 Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 4:24pm by stephaniescakenj

mommyandme08 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

I am having trouble getting certain colors to turn like brown, black, and darker greens and blues. I keep adding and adding and finally it looks like little white specks of crisco tinted. Is it the recipe im using or what? Please help!!!!

7 replies
Kate714 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know about the "specks" but, what kind of colors are you using? For dark colors I always use Americolor. You will never get a very dark red, black or brown with Wilton unless you use a ton!

millermom Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 8

I have had the same problem before. I still struggle with getting the vibrant colors I am going for, but I have learned a few tips that have made it better.

First of all, color only small batches at a time, if you can.

Second, powdered dyes prevent that separation that starts when you add too much liquid or gel coloring.

I just did a fall cake yesterday that I wanted to do dark brown. I added cocoa to my BC recipe, then added the brown coloring. It still looked lighter than I wanted, but I didn't want to add too much more, so I stopped there. I found that after I frosted the cake, and let it crust, the color darkened, and it was perfect!

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 8

I've had this problem even using Americolor. If I am making black or red I just add some cornstartch to the icing. It abosorbs the extra liquid, which is what I think causes the seperation.

kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 8

All dark colors need time to develop there deep hues.
They need to be mixed at least the night before using.
For black & brown start w/chocolate b'cream OR when you have little dibs & dabs of colored icing - no matter what color - put them all together in one container & fz until you need blk or brn; stir all these colors together - it will be a weird, funky color but just add the brown or blk paste and you will be surprised how little you will need.
For other colors don't start w/white but like for red start w/a base color of yellow, orange or pink before adding your red color.

sayhellojana Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #6 of 8

Diddo to what kajeladi said. I've made nice colored reds by coloring the icing orange first.

mommyandme08 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:22am
post #7 of 8

thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions I will give them a try and see if this helps!!!!

stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 8

I've also read that if you're using a shortening based icing, to use the high-ratio. the color blends better without the little specks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%