Preference For Key Lime Cupcakes

Baking By adonisthegreek1 Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 4:31pm by adonisthegreek1

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 11

I'm not really big on key lime pie, but want to donate some key lime cupcakes to a small event. All of the recipes I see call for the lime filling in the middle of the cupcake. I'm not big on fillings either. Is this preferred over making a lime cupcake and topping it with coconut flavored Bettercream and fresh coconut shreds. Those of you who love key lime pie, which cupcake would you prefer?

10 replies
prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 11

I made a Key Lime Cake for my husbands birthday. I used French Vanilla DH and followed the recipe exactly, except I used Key Lime Juice instead of water. Turned out tart (like the pie), and I used a regular 1/2 butter 1/2 shortning buttercream recipe. Added lime zest and lime juice to thin. The lime flavor didn't come through really strong on the icing, but the cake more than made up for it! Took a long time to bake though-I would use a flower nail next time, though. Hope this helps!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for your response. If I went the cake mix route, I was going to use white DH cake and add a pack of lime pudding.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 11

I also throw in some lime yogurt as well...

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 11

A pack of lime pudding in a cake does not key lime make.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 11

I think a filling will add to the flavor..a key lime curd would be nice. Definitely use some key lime juice and zest. Not sure how you're decorating but it would probably be good to top with some crushed graham crackers...

badylugs80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badylugs80 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 11

I do not like fillings in my cupcakes, So I'm with you on that. I have tried subbing the water for key lime juice and found it too much...maybe 1/2 juice and 1/2 water. And it does take longer to cook for some reason. I used all juice in my buttercream (instead of milk) and had the best icing!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 11

A yellow cake with key lime curd filling and coconut bettercreme sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs sounds wonderful and not too overboard on the lime.

I agree with chutzpah, I don't think just adding the lime pudding will give you the key lime flavoring you want.

If you want/need to doctor a mix try adding key lime yogurt and use lime zest and juice as a replacement for some/all of the liquid.

ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 11

I have made Key Lime cupcakes for weddings and they were great. I used DH White mix and key lime juice and zest of the lime. I just finished it with BC icing and they came out great. I also used raspberry filling inside because raspberry goes so well with key lime. or you could just use a raspberry BC instead to balance out the flavor.

Susan123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan123 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 11

I've used a great recipe for graham cracker cupcakes (not graham cracker crust, you use the graham crax in the recipe) with a lime curd filling. You top them with whip cream; I've always added my left over curd to the whip cream and it's perfect. I think you probably need to use either a filling or definite lime frosting to get an adequate lime taste. Good luck!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

A pack of lime pudding in a cake does not key lime make.

I took your advice. I made white cupcakes and filled them with homemade lime curd. I added a drop of key lime oil to the cake batter. I used Rich's Bettercream frosting adding a few drops of coconut oil. Lastly, I topped the cupcake with shredded coconut. Everyone raved about the cupcakes. I don't usually like fillings but they were much better than I had anticipated.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%