Help! Fondant On A Tall Cake?!

Decorating By MichaelaRod Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm by MichaelaRod

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a coach purse and it is stacked 3 layers high ( 2-in each) so 6 in total (rectangular) and I have attempted to cover it in fondant about 7 times and each time it ripped before I could get it smooth at the base. Does anyone have any tips for covering a tall cake? I had to quit and go to bed, I was so frustrated. Is it even possible or should I just wrap the fondant around the sides and put another piece across the top?

This batch of fondant I bought was also pretty bad, really dried out and hard but I added a bunch of shortening to loosen it up, I'm not sure if that is adding to my issues though.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 3

it's possible.........I covered this cake in fondant and it was super easy.......not sure if the way I did it will work for you but this cake was closer to 10" tall, so it is possible. What I did was cut a piece to go over the front, top and back and then put on the side panels separately.....it worked for this cake because of the way the real diaper bag was stitched together (the same way) but not sure if it will work for you cake!
LL

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 3

Oh great idea! Thank you! THe purse does have stitching along the seams so that would work perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%