Urgent! Adding Gelatin To Poured Chocolate Ganache??

Decorating By serenelui Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 6:01am by serenelui

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 10:36am
post #1 of 10

Hi all.. has anyone tried adding gelatin to a poured chocolate ganache so that the ganache sets up much firmer and helps to stabilise it so it becomes less "drippy" when it's out of the fridge?? I'm asking cos i want a chocolate ganache glaze that can stay out of the fridge for a slightly longer period of time before the ganache starts melting since it's really hot where i am.

If anyone has done it before, can they let me know how to go about doing it and if you could, please share the recipe with me! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 10

I've never heard, seen, or read of someone doing it. I really don't see how adding gelatin will raise the melting temp though.

Mike

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 10

I wouldn't do it -- chocolate is pretty fussy. Try increasing the amount of chocolate proportionate to the cream -- the more chocolate you use, the thicker the ganache and the firmer it sets up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 10

what luddroth said.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 10

Yeah but isn't one of the issues the melting point of the choc?

Mike

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 10

Yay! Nice to have advice confirmed by a real expert!

serenelui Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 10

Hi all.. thanks for all your responses.. and yeah.. my main problem is the melting temperature of the chocolate cos i'm from a very hot country. From what i've heard, the gelatin doesn't exactly help to increase the melting temp.. it just helps to hold the ganache together so it's not so drippy. Cos i've read that it's possible add gelatin to whipped cream to help stabilise it when you need it to be placed outside for a longer period of time, so i assume it's the same concept.

I found this website online that said they added the gelatin to the chocolate.. but i'm not sure how much gelatin to water ratio and when to add, etc. So i'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any ideas anyone? Here's the link.. the recipe is right at the bottom of the page. I don't know any french.. but i assume this means the same thing as a poured chocolate ganache?? http://www.foodbeam.com/2005/12/17/divine-cannelle/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 10

oops double post

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 10

She's using sheet gelatine in the milk, then melting the chocolate in it and making mousse. Then she does use some more for some kind of icing.

I mean she says exactly how much to use but it's sheet gelatine--and there's different grades of that too. Can you get sheet gelatine? I don't know what the kill temperature is on sheet gelatine but the kill temp on powdered is not difficult to reach--it's low--oh yeah it's boiling--I mean a couple bubbles and your jello is soup. But I don't think sheet gelatine is heartier than granulated but I can't remember for sure.

I mean I would say that you have to experiment with this on your own since it's obviously an uncommon thing to do.

I mean if I was doing this I would use powdered gelatine and I would bloom it separate from the cream that I used to melt the chocolate in for the ganache. I would combine it at some point after things cool off some but I would be concerned that I'd fry my gelatine in the hot cream.

So...you need to ask her really.

However, whipped cream is a highly perishable item. It cannot be kept outside the refrigerator for extended periods and be safe to consume/serve to others. If you mean out of doors then gelatine is not the answer for that.

And fwiw if whipped cream is whipped properly it does not need the gelatine. Everyone is concerned about whipping it too long because it does turn to butter but you gotta whip it enough and it is very stable without any thing added.

serenelui Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:01am
post #10 of 10

Hi k8memphis, thanks so much for your advice... in the end i ended up adding more chocolate as i was afraid of ruining the ganache by adding in the gelatine icon_smile.gif Plus i could't access CC the past 2 days cos of the upgrading work and didn't see your advice till just icon_sad.gif As for placing the cake out too long, i actually just needed the cake to be able to sit out about 1-2 hours before serving but due to the hot weather where i am which is above the melting temp of chocolate, i was seeking for alternatives to be able to leave the cake out for that period of time without having the choclate ganache melting and sliding right off the cake! icon_smile.gif But the additional chocolate i added to my ganache seemed to do the trick this time. So i was quite relieved! icon_smile.gif

As for the information on the whipping cream. I've just heard of some horror stories about the whipped cream frosting turning into water and sliding right off the cake. Didn't realise that it's caused by insufficient whipping of the whipped cream! icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for that information!! Was always afraid to use whipped cream cos of all the horror stories i've heard about it. Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%