What Am I Doing Wrong With My New Kitchenaid?

Decorating By calebsmom45 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 7:11pm by Rosie2

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:09am
post #1 of 35

I ws so excited to get my new 6 qt. pro kitchenaid but I think I might hate it. I cannot make icing in it! I have never had a problem with icing in my old, old, old mixer that I turned by hand. I thought it would be a breeze but i cannot make it fluffy, it is just creamy and wet feeling if you know what I mean. Plus I think I totally overbeat my cake. I am having a hard time adjusting I guess. Anyone have any tips? What speeds do you do things on? I read the book but it is not working. Plus even though I adjusted the screw, my whip still does not reach the bottom and my flat beater barely does. I will take any suggestions at this point. I want to love it but I am finding it hard. Thanks, Brandy

34 replies
jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:15am
post #2 of 35

I start out on the stir and then use 2 and 4. I never go above speed 4. Which recipe are you using? Which attachment for the icing? I think you need to just work with it...I had trouble at first getting the speeds right for everything compared to my old mixer. Takes time but you'll get it figured out.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 35

I don't use my whip beater unless I am whipping cream. Using the flat beater eliminates whipping air into the frosting. HTH

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:43am
post #4 of 35

I agree not to use the whip for icing. Also, the low settings will be more like your old mixer. The kitchenaid is powerful!

I dont like that the beater doesnt go to the bottom either. Put in wet first and it will help get all the dry mixed in. I also find I have to stop and scrape the sides because it just doesnt do that. If it would rotate or srape the sides it would be better.

All in all, however, the fact that you can beat something for 2 minutes while lining your cupcake pans or greasing your pan is very nice and you will get spoiled to that. It can also handle very stiff consistencies (even yeast bread if you use the hook)....so there is a lot you will love it for.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:57am
post #5 of 35

You can do fondant with the bread hook also. Or at least that's what I've been told.

If you are making royal icing make sure you beat it for a full 7-10 minutes at a speed 2 or 3.

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:58am
post #6 of 35

I hardly ever use anything but the flat beater on my KitchenAid. I think I've only used the whisk once and the dough hook a few times.

Which attachment are you using to make your icing?

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:37am
post #7 of 35

Keep working with it, you will grow to LOVE it! I too disliked the stuff at the bottom, but we "really" are supposed to stop and scrape the bowl well anyway with most recipes so I find this just makes me a better baker. icon_lol.gif
My favorite thing about it is that its engine is heavy enough to do big batches of IMBC. And when I take it out of refrig. and want to bring it back to consistency, I just wave my little mini torch back and forth at bottom of bowl while beating on low and it takes it "through its stages" much faster to a nice fluffy texture quickly for me!
Good luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 35

Brandy, I think the biggest issue with your mixer is the adjustment is not quite right.
My SIL recently purchased one and she was so disappointed with it she was ready to return it. Neither she or my brother had read about maybe having to make adjustments before use. I helped her adjust it and it made all the difference.

Keep playing with the screw until you get the attachments just right, once you do you'll see that the icing will come together much better.

I also never mix above speed 4.

Good luck, keep experimenting you will love it once you get used to it.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 35

Do you have the BeaterBlade? It is great. Well worth the money in my opinion. I don't know how mine is adjusted, but the blade wipes the sides so you don't have to scrape the bowl all the time. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TMI28/?tag=cakecentral-20

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #10 of 35

I really appreciate all of the comments! I could not check them while CC was down and I was gone all weekend! I am going to try everything you guys suggested. I want to love it, I really do!

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #11 of 35

Oh the irony!!! I just got one also and had a horrible time this weekend when I tried to make my icing with it. I tried to take it past speed 4 and the whole thing started shaking and I swear I thought my countertop was going to unhinge. It also makes a really loud hissing sound. Does yours make the hissing sound too?

Barbara

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #12 of 35

Yep I agree but now I LOVE my KA. I still use my hand mixer for single boxed cakes- but if you use the KA- don't mix for very long and don't go above 2- 4 as suggested.
It's easy to overbeat. thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #13 of 35

Sorry to butt in this thread, but I've had my KA for about a year and now is shaking...sort of like is going to fall apart....does anyone else's does the same thing? I don't think it was shaking like that before and now I'm beggining to worry.
Any input will help, thank you to all!!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 1:23am
post #14 of 35

Rosie,

Check the pin on the side (the one that holds the base to the top part). Sometimes mine starts to work it's way out and my mixer starts shaking. I just take a small hammer and push the pin back in and it stops.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

Rosie,

Check the pin on the side (the one that holds the base to the top part). Sometimes mine starts to work it's way out and my mixer starts shaking. I just take a small hammer and push the pin back in and it stops.

Lisa, thank you very much! I will check on that when I get home....I guess I never pay attention to that pin.
Thank youuu!!!

kylakae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylakae Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 35

The beaters not reaching the bottom has always been my biggest complaint. Someone else already mentioned it but I have to agree, I am crazy about my new beater blade. It reaches the bottom and continually scrapes the side. It's the bomb!

As someone mentioned earlier, your KA with the dough hooks is also fabulous for making fondant. You do tend to need 1-2 Tblspns more water, though.

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #17 of 35

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you do the fondant in the KA. I've had mine about 6 months now and can't figure it out!!

Thanks!

atlantacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atlantacake Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:36pm
post #18 of 35

I use the KA to make my MMF. Use the dough hook. If you need more specific instructions you can email me.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #19 of 35

A lot of ladies on this thread said they don't beat above 4 and rarely use the wisk. Now, every baker is different, but I use my whip more often than my flat beater. I only use my flat beater when I'm mixing dry ingredients or batter. I use speed 2 when first incorperating ingredients, but usually pump it up to speed 6. For IMBC, I turn my mixer up to full speed and use the whip. I really like the consistency of my IMBC, but I'm sure you can make it at lower speeds as well. HTH

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 35

One word of warning.....don't over-adjust your KA so that the flat mixer blade hits the bottom of the bowl otherwise you'll rub the coating off the blade and then it will be un-usable --- I know this from experience!!!!

(I know it's a pain but you really have to stop and scrape the bowl instead of letting the blade do it!)

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #21 of 35

My buttercream icing requires that I mix on med. speed for 20 minutes. I never do it less than that. it increases the volume I have and I don't have any smoothing problems. I've only had my KA for about 4 months and have made a handful of batches of icing. I cream my shortening and salt first and I have a rubber spatula I use to scrape the sides...a MUST. If you want my buttercream recipe I'll be happy to send it. Just PM me. It's for "pure white icing"--not a family secret or anything!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 35

I always use my paddle attachment on the buttercream....much better consistency!

post #23 of 35

I always use my paddle attachment on the buttercream....much better consistency!

post #24 of 35

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:18pm
post #25 of 35

[quote="KathyTW"]One word of warning.....don't over-adjust your KA so that the flat mixer blade hits the bottom of the bowl otherwise you'll rub the coating off the blade and then it will be un-usable --- I know this from experience!!!!
quote]

It will also cause the metal to fray! (Also learned the hard way) Metal slivers REALLY hurt! And I'd hate to think about what would happen if someone ingested it. icon_sad.gif

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #26 of 35

i'm so glad to see this thread. we're going to get my first KA tomorrow, yey! so excited =)

lasher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasher Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 10:32pm
post #27 of 35

I have same mixer & love it but was wondering if it can handle making a double batch of MMF?

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #28 of 35

Which kitchenaid is best one to buy. My hubby wants to get me one for Christmas but he keeps looking at the really cheap ones and I keep hinting those are the wrong ones..lol Any tips i can tell him to pick a good one that is not that much?? Thanks.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #29 of 35

I would buy the biggest KA with the highest wattage. Mine is a KA pro 6 qt from Costco- and it is on sale with a coupon this weekend. You should be able to get the coupon book at the store.
Best gift I ever got! icon_biggrin.gif
Sure has saved me a lot of work!

Also- I would learn to use your KA well before you decide to buy the special beaters. IMO

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:34pm
post #30 of 35

My first Kitchenaid was always scraping the bottom of the bowl and my icing would turn silver with metal in it. I returned it to the store as you could see the scratches in the bowl. My replacement one had the same problem until I adjusted the screw to lift it up a bit and haven't had a problem since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%