New To This

Decorating By hygowdy Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 8:57pm by SILVERCAT

hygowdy Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 2

I am new to the cake decorating realm of baking. I am fairly confident in my decorating abilities. I just did a Tinkerbell cupcake - cake for my niece a few weeks ago that turned out nice. Nothing too fancy their. Now, I have a friend that has requested I make her a cake for her birthday. Nothing too fancy, but she is expecting some sort of fondant decor on the cake...
My question is... I only have 3 basic cakes in my portfolio, regular yellow, chocolate and red velvet. She doesn't eat Chocolate... and I'm afraid the yellow will be to, uh, dull? Any suggestions on the type of cake I should bake?
Also... I have recipes for cream cheese fondant. Is it any better than using MMF? I am only looking to do something simple on the decor, since this is my first time out of the block on this one...
I am open to any sort of suggestion I can get!!! Help, please!

1 reply
SILVERCAT Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 2

If you want to use your yellow cake us can use a cookies & cream filling that is really good. It is what people request from me when they have cake. As for MMF I don't use bc I cant ever get it to come out right when I make it. So I use rolled butter cream which looks just like fondant but taste like well buttercream. Instead of using crisco to work you use powder sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%