What Is The Average Pay?

Decorating By eggsnbakin Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm by PinkZiab

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, I was contacted by a lady who has just opened a bakery/cake decorating place in town. Place looks good, but she is the only one working there right now. She emailed me after seeing my portfolio online and asked if I would be interested in working for her because I do baked goods AND decorate cakes and she needs someone who can do it all just like her.

This all started out as a hobby for me and therefore I have no idea how much to ask for on an hourly rate. From what I understand, it will be just me and her. When she is not there, it is just me. She has gotten a lot of business already and being that she is the only one around here doing this type of thing, I can only believe that she is going to grow.

I am supposed to meet with her tomorrow to discuss pay and so she can look at some more of my work, can someone tell me how much $$ I should expect to make. She mentioned something about commission, too and I don't know what to think of that when it comes to this type of thing.

TIA

2 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 3

decoraters at my old shop made about 12-14 an hour....

good luck. I don't know what the rate is in your area but just thought I would tell you.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 3

There are a lot of variables. In this area (North Jersey/NYC metro area) even with a culinary school degree starting pay is about $10-12 an hour. With a solid portfolio, you might be able to pull $14, but if you have only ever worked for yourself as a hobbyist or home baker (even with a good portfolio), it's not likely you'd start any higher than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%