Light Therapy Lamps

Lounge By mellormom Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 6:52am by GI

mellormom Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 13

Do any of you have one and if so what kind do you have and do you like it? I'm going to put one on my x-mas list and need to know which one of the many to get. This way hopefully this winter wont be so dreary! icon_smile.gif
New England get dreary in the winter!
Jen...

12 replies
RuthWells Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 13

I got an Apollo GoLite a week ago, and it has helped a lot. My first time with light therapy.

mellormom Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 13

I've been reading that blue light might not be good but that some say it is. Did you here anything about this? It sounds like a good lamp though. Thanks for your input.
Jen...

Mike1394 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 13

You want to get a full spectrum light bulb. Since the sunlight, and UV rays help assimilate Vit D it is important that FS lighting is in the house. There are places in Siberia that take school kids, and make them stand in front of FS lighting for like 15 mins a couple times a day.

Google "ott lighting" He is the one that termed full spectrum lighting.

Mike

mellormom Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 13

Is the light bulb instead of the lamp or in addition to?
Thanks for you help!
Jen...

punkinpie Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 13

I worked for this company a long time ago. Many many people were very satisfied with light therapy.

http://www.day-lights.com/

Do you have a health care store where you can rent one for a bit to see if it works for you before you buy one.

Mike1394 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:55am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

Is the light bulb instead of the lamp or in addition to?
Thanks for you help!
Jen...

You want the light bulb. What lamp you put it in doesn't matter

Mike

RuthWells Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

I've been reading that blue light might not be good but that some say it is. Did you here anything about this? It sounds like a good lamp though. Thanks for your input.
Jen...

I had heard the same thing, but the friend who recommended the GoLite had trouble using the full-spectrum lights, as they hurt her eyes. I get a fair degree of eye fatigue with 30 minutes of blue lights, so I'm glad I took her advise. I've really had a remarkable success with it -- 2 weeks in, and I feel like myself again.

mellormom Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 13

Mike, I meant the bulb instead of a free standing light therapy box. I was clear in my mind. icon_smile.gifLOL
Thanks everyone!
Jen...

ahuvas Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 11:57am
post #10 of 13

Philips make broad spectrum light that are blue enriched. They look white but have a greater proportion of the blue end of the spectrum.

My supervisor did a study with these lights using the German swimming team - we have one in the office - I will look at its name.

GI Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:40am
post #11 of 13

So if it hurts your eyes and/or causes eye fatigue, do you cut down on using the light? And can you use your light, say at work, where other people are coming/going or will it bother them?

I was considering saving for one of these, too. I too wondered which wsa best. I'd like to keep it at work during the week and then use it on theweekend if I felt I needed it.

Years and years ago, I used to go the tanning bed for about 8 minutes a few times a week during the worst of the winter, usually right after Christmas and till early Feb. Warmed me up and felt absolutely wonderful. But that nasty habit is over.

RuthWells Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

So if it hurts your eyes and/or causes eye fatigue, do you cut down on using the light? And can you use your light, say at work, where other people are coming/going or will it bother them?

Years and years ago, I used to go the tanning bed for about 8 minutes a few times a week during the worst of the winter, usually right after Christmas and till early Feb. Warmed me up and felt absolutely wonderful. But that nasty habit is over.

It shouldn't bother anyone walking by your desk if you use it at work, but you don't really want to be looking directly into the light. The company I purchased from has an online quiz you do, which results in suggested times of day to use the lamp. For me, the suggestion was 1/2 hour in the evenings (7-8pm), so something like this might affect your decision-making.

GI Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:52am
post #13 of 13

I saw the on-line quiz and didn't take the whole thing since I'm not ready to purchase. I didn't realize the time of day was an important factor. icon_surprised.gif Thanks for pointing that out!! icon_biggrin.gif

My friend, she said, "Why don't you just fly to the sunshine, you're spending the same amount!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%