How To Make A Gumpaste Topper???

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 5:48pm by Henna20

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 5

I'm working on a tiered 80th birthday cake and I need to make an "80" topper for the top.
This is my first time every using gumpaste (i have used fondant for accents before).
How do I make an 80 topper out of gumpaste? How long does it need to dry? Can i make it chocolate or brown like chocolate buttercream? How do I attach it to the cake???
Please help!!!

4 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #2 of 5

I'll make a suggestion and try to explain as best as I can. I would make a paper template of an "8" and a "0" leaving the template completely filled inside the center of the numbers (in other words don't cut out any of the inside). Roll our gumpaste (1/4" thick) and cut out one of each number. Insert toothpicks or a skewer in the base of each number so that you have something to insert the numbers into the cake with. Then using a claygun, squeeze out a contrasting color of paste in either a thin smooth rope or you can use the twisted rope option on the clay gun (twist to form a rope of the pressed out paste). Glue this rope (using some gum glue) around the perimeters of the number bases you already have cut out. Let dry 48 hours to ensure completely dry (longer is you are in high humidity). This is a sturdy method and looks pretty good. You can do whatever color you want.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 5

linstead has offered a good description for youicon_smile.gif
If you don't have a claygun, you can just roll the gp by hand into long snakes.
If you have any number cookie cutters you can use them on rolled out gp the same as one would cookie dough.

Henna20 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 5

thats sounds very doable. thank you so much! one question-what is gum glue???

Henna20 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 5

also how tall would be a good size for the topper?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%