Cake Drum?

Decorating By SueW Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 3:33pm by CWR41

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #1 of 24

Is that what they are called? I need something heavier than the wilton cake boards at this point and I don't know what to get. Where do I buy them and how do you decorate them? icon_redface.gif Thanks for helping!

23 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:13am
post #2 of 24

Yep, they are called cake drums.
Do not get the Wilton - even the extra thick ones they try to pass off as cake drums.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:57am
post #3 of 24

I use drums all the time. CK has them (online.) And you don't need to decorate them at all.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:11am
post #4 of 24

your other option-if you don't have the time to order something-is to go to your local craft store, or Wal-Mart and buy foamcore board and cut your own.

I'd suggest 2-3 circles taped/glued together, then covered however you want: florist foil, contact paper, etc. Use a new blade in an X-acto knife when cutting...and use a cake pan (several sizes larger than your cake) as a pattern to mark the circle/square/heart/whatever.

HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 24

Leahs...I just went to CK. Are you talking about the masonite boards, or do I need to be looking at something else?

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 24

Ok...I bought a package of Wilton "drums" the other day, what's wrong with them? Something I should know before I stack a HUGE cake on it?!?!?! Lol... icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 24

Oh Leahs...I think I was at the wrong site. I went to Ck, and then I see that there is a site called Country Kitchen...and there are the nice pretty silver drums. These?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 24

Yes, they are silver or gold. Sometimes white. 1/2" thick.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 24

I think the gold ones are yuckicon_sad.gif They are more brassy than gold.

The Wilton so-called drums will NOT hold up under weight. They will buckle icon_sad.gif You would do better taking plain cake rounds & stacking them yourself. That way you can be sure to strengthen them by alternating the way the corrigations run and glue them together. Wilton does not even glue the stack of cardboards they haveicon_sad.gif
My only objections to making your own is you cannot really get them nicely covered or at least I couldn't. Now matter how hard I tried they always have that glob of paper where you have to fold it as you pull it under. Some people hide that w/a ribbon but the ribbon is not smooth then either.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 24

Oh thanks for the info on the Wilton's. I will be ordering some of those nice ones from Country Kitchens if I do a big cake. I am putting a single tier carved cake on my Wilton one tomorrow. It should be fine...I hope.

SueW Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 24

Does anyone know of any other websites that sell cake drums besides CK , just so I can compare. Thanks!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 24

just a thought if you bought your cake boards in bulk you could use 3 or 4 of them taped together then covered.. I do this a good bit. I have recently been using foamcore board on my tiered cakes, as I find it holds them more stable and level.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 24

i use to get mine from bakerycraft.com..... gold and silver... loved both colors.... i love the silver wilton ones also... never had them to buckle under weight with me... i assume global sugar art sells them.... hth wilton products get a hard knock from this site... been on here for 2 years.. thats all you read.... i bet they laugh all the way to the bank!!!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #14 of 24

I used to cover my own boards, alternating the corregated lines, etc. Then I began using the CK brands (which are the same almost anywhere you get them...Bakery Crafts, etc.) and I now get them from a local wholesale bakery supply business. I like the purchased one SO much more. They are glued together, so you also get the strength of the glue between the boards. Then the foil is glued on also, instead of dealing with tape on the bottom side. They are well worth the money.

They feel as strong as a wood board. If we make a REALLY heavy cake, such as 6 tiers, then we put two of the drums together with hot glue and put a ribbon around the side to conceal it.

I agree the gold is way to brassy. If I need another color, then I just cover my silver board myself.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #15 of 24

I agree the gold ones are way too bright yellow-brass colored, I was loving the silver ones until this year. I order them from Bakery Crafts, but be careful now, they have a problem with warping. I have always kept them in the same dry place and it seems like half of them that I have received this year have warped. I actually broght a few different sizes of them to the Atlantic City show to show them, since I was going anyway I figured better to show them rather than just a phone call. They said they knew about the problem, the factory they were being manufactured at had humidity problems. They have changed them from totally wrapped around the boards (those were fine) to the new style where they have a cut-out foil "disc" on the top and a seperate piece of foil around the edge/sides. I now make my own from cake circles and wrap them in a greaseproof solid embrossed white doilie. It takes more time, but I would rather know that my 4 tier wedding cake is going to be safe and secure and I'm not going to my wedding cake cooler to deliver a cake and see it on a cake drum that has buckeled.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #16 of 24

I get mine from www.selfservebaker.com she has great prices! I used to buy the wilton cake drums but they would sink in the middle and cause problems when lifting the cakes.

SueW Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #17 of 24

Ok, now I have another question icon_redface.gif What are masonite boards? I see them listed too. Is that better than a cake drum? Thanks for your help! I want to attempt a 2 tier cake this weekend and I don't know what to put it on.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:12am
post #18 of 24

Ive never used those boards but i think they are stronger and you can reuse them

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:05am
post #19 of 24

Masonite boards are wooden boards, and some people like to get them back to reuse since they are wood and very strong.

I use the wilton cardboards. Depending on the size of the cake, I glue a few of them together to get a thick board, cover with the foil paper, then decorate with a ribbon around the board, or cover in fondant.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #20 of 24

I have been putting together 3 cardboard circles to make cake drums but my last cake cracked after I spent hours smoothing.

Does anyone use one inch styrofoam? I'm thinking about trying this.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #21 of 24

I use 1/2" foam core, cut to whatever size I need, I bought rolls of foil from Pheil & Holing & cover my own any color I want, I also cover my boards with fondant if I am doing a fondant cake.

scrappinraiderfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrappinraiderfan Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 24

AFoam core boards work great. Also can cover in the dollar store plastic table cloths in almost any color to match.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 2:50pm
post #23 of 24

AI purchase from Pfiel & Holing because they have the nice white ones. I think global sugar art also carries white ones.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:33pm
post #24 of 24

Pfeil...

http://cakedeco.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%