What Do You Think? What Would You Do?

Lounge By pamconn Updated 25 Nov 2008 , 12:21am by pamconn

pamconn Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #1 of 8

I have had three treatments to remove a wart. The doctor on the first two treatments had his nurse paint a liquid on it-no bandaid after or anything. The last appointment he sprayed on some liquid nitrogen-still no bandaid.

I just received a notice from my insurance that they are not paying for it because it was billed as surgery.

I called the doctor's office and they said that they did indeed consider it surgery.

WHAT? icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif How many of you think that this would be considered surgery?

To top it off, you would think that at $165 a treatment it should be gone.

I'm just wondering if I'm crazy to think that I should complain to the doctor's office and the insurance company about the bill.

7 replies
pamconn Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:12am
post #2 of 8

oops-it was $178 a treatment; and its on my foot if that matters.

stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:26am
post #3 of 8

Oh that's ridiculous! You should call the insurance company and tell them what exactly you had done. Maybe the doctor called it "surgery" to get a bigger payout.

sweetness_221 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 8

I would tell the dr that your insurance doesn't cover it as surgery. Ask them to resubmit it. My DH went through wart removal. He had shots in his warts (OUCH!), freezing them, you name it it was done. Nothing worked. It was quite expensive, because our insurance company doesn't cover "ellective" (sp?) treatments. They didn't consider them to be medically necessary even though they cover his fingertips and are painfull. Makes no sense to me. He then decided to do home remedies and they worked for a while, but came back. I think even if he got them surgically removed they would come back. Poor guy.

Hopefully they will work with you on getting it submitted differently. If that doesn't work, maybe you can submit an appeal with the insurance company. HTH.

zoomzone Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds like it may have been coded wrong- like maybe the diagnosis code was not proper for the procedure code?
I would ask the insurance company under what diag codes they WOULD pay for the procedure, and then inform the dr.'s office of the correct codes.

pamconn Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the advice. I'm not getting notices, so I didn't think I had any replies.

I called and the doctors office said that they do call it surgery, but I am going to follow your advice and contact the insurance company and go back in and see what I can get the billing dept. to do.

I feel that at the very least they need to let patients know up front that it will be considered surgery as most insuance companies only pay for surgery after a large deductible has been met.

Thanks again for "listening" to my rant and for the advice!

-Tubbs Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 8

Not about the insurance (I'm in Canada - Yay for Medicare thumbs_up.gif ), but about the treatment.

My son had a wart on his foot for ages. I kept taking him in to do the freezing thing - he was only little and it was really traumatic for him, poor guy.

One time I took him in, and there was a new doctor who we hadn't seen before, who told me to put duct tape on it instead. The procedure is as follows: You dry the foot and put a piece of tape over the wart and leave it for about half a day. Then rip it off and repeat. The key is to keep replacing the tape. The tape makes the skin really sweaty and nasty around the wart, which eventually makes it separate from the wart. One day (about day 3??) we pulled off the tape and the wart came straight out with the tape. All gone. A low tech solution which cost nothing.

Hope that helps!

pamconn Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #8 of 8

I will try the duct tape.

Is there anything that stuff can't fix? icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%