Can I Use Wilton Paste Colors Thinned Down In An Airbrush?

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 1:19am by kakeladi

doodlebugs Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 4

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if I could dilute the Wilton color paste and use it in an airbrush? I just got an airbrush but no one in my area sells the color to use in it for cakes. I have a cake due on Friday and I don't have time to order any. I have tried to figure out ways to re-do my design to avoid the airbrush but can't come up with a thing. Also, what could i use to dilute it....I have heard that you can use some sort of alcohol, but this is for a kids party and I am sure there will be no alcohol left in the color, but would feel totally better about using something non-alcoholic! Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
uschi1 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

Hi doodlebugs,

I posted a question re. my airbrush earlier today and was advised against using regular color paste. You should only use the kind specifically made for airbrushes.

Frankyola Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 4
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 4

The Kroma Kolors mentioned in the link Frankyola posted most likely *are* airbrush colors. They are one brand of ab colors.
They are very liquid......like water.
When you try mixing gel &/or paste w/alcohol it will not mix totally and that residue is what will gum up the airbrushicon_sad.gif

There is *nothing* w/o alcohol that will work. Even lemon or vanilla flavoring/extracts sometimes recommended work only because they have a high alcohol content.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%