Can I Use Wilton Paste Colors Thinned Down In An Airbrush?

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 1:19am by kakeladi

doodlebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugs Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 4

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if I could dilute the Wilton color paste and use it in an airbrush? I just got an airbrush but no one in my area sells the color to use in it for cakes. I have a cake due on Friday and I don't have time to order any. I have tried to figure out ways to re-do my design to avoid the airbrush but can't come up with a thing. Also, what could i use to dilute it....I have heard that you can use some sort of alcohol, but this is for a kids party and I am sure there will be no alcohol left in the color, but would feel totally better about using something non-alcoholic! Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

Hi doodlebugs,

I posted a question re. my airbrush earlier today and was advised against using regular color paste. You should only use the kind specifically made for airbrushes.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 4
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 4

The Kroma Kolors mentioned in the link Frankyola posted most likely *are* airbrush colors. They are one brand of ab colors.
They are very liquid......like water.
When you try mixing gel &/or paste w/alcohol it will not mix totally and that residue is what will gum up the airbrushicon_sad.gif

There is *nothing* w/o alcohol that will work. Even lemon or vanilla flavoring/extracts sometimes recommended work only because they have a high alcohol content.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%