Need To Vent! Kept This To Myself For A While!

Decorating By the cake whole Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 1:20pm by cfao

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 6

Okay... I just need to get this off my chest! Here I go, so, I know someone who has posted "Charm City Cakes" and claimed that they did them! I do not know why this bothers me so much but it does.
I have been doing cakes for a year now and I put all my own "blood sweat and tears" into my OWN cakes. I do not post other ppl's cakes and take credit for them! Her sister has even "knocked" one of my cakes than went on to say what an AMAZING cake designer her sister was..... ohhhhhhhh, that is when I snapped!

So now I have finished my rant and feel MUCH better, thanks for hearing me out!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 6

It is annoying when someone takes credit for other peoples work, in any field.

There are also many people who make a point of telling me how fabulous their sister/daughter/aunt/friend is a decoration. I sat at my demo booth at the state fair, and I can't tell you how many people stopped to tell me how much they knew about what I was doing. I was making roses from Starburst candy, they walked up and told their companion, 'oh that's 'fondawnt', my sister makes such beautiful flowers'

ha!

you have to just laugh and forget it.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 6

i would hate that, i mean its one thing to say, sure I can make this cake, but it was originally done by... XXX. you know?

I could never claim to have made something i didn't. What if someone asks for the exact same thing and I can't deliver!!! duh.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 6

It stinks, but I guess all we can do is hold true to our own integrity. I truley believe in "What goes around, comes around" they get theirs eventually. icon_twisted.gif

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6

If the picture was from Charm city cakes website, I would email a link to Charm city themselves. I have done that before, and the pictures came down mighty fast! icon_lol.gif

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 6

We have a bakery in the area that has used a Bakery Crafts picture for quite a few years now in her ads, even the yellow pages. (It was the fondant cake with all of the gum paste flowers and a precious moments cake top figurine). Unless you do cakes, you will have never heard of BC, so people assume the cake is her own work.

I have another bakery who has the same name as mine, but I am .org and they are .com. I have my own cakes on my site, complete with the date of the wedding, how many the cake served and even the reception location. They post Wilton pictures almost exclusively, so every once in a while I will get a customer ask for a cake design by number. That's when I know my customer was on their site before they arrive for their appointment. (Why they don't pick up on the different state, I'll never know) I had a couple last year show up for their "scheduled" appointment. It only took a couple of minutes to realize they had been on the other site and they actually made an appointment with them. They said they had been asked for their wedding info, date - location - time, etc. - and they set up an appointment with them to design their cake. They really thought they had been emailing me. The date had been closed out on my site for quite a while and they left pretty upset, not at me, but that the other vendor would string them along and not simply tell them they had the wrong company.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%