Holiday Goodie Gifts For Friends And Neighbors? Ideas?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 12:50am by NanaSandy

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #181 of 193

Cake balls normally dont last long in my house, but you can freeze them. Just make sure they are in an air tight container and you should be fine.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #182 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin3085

Oh my goodness, that jelly!! It's on my list now. icon_biggrin.gif

Question about making it though...I can google basic directions, but a few recommend sterilizing, while others say it isn't necessary or varies by recipe. With this recipe, do I need to boil the jars and lids before I fill them, then again afterwards? And I assume that a boiling treatment after filling entails covering them with an inch of water and boiling for about 6-8 minutes? I have never canned before. icon_redface.gif

I'm loving this thread...thanks for all the recipes! icon_smile.gif

Hey:
I wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water then boil them for 10 min. to sterilize. It's best to keep them in hot water and take them out right before using them but usually I'll just keep them in a 350F oven after sterilizing (haven't had any problems). I do keep the lids and bands in hot water after boiling for 10 min. After the jars are filled, wipe the rims off, place the bands/lids on and place in hot water bath for 5 min. for the small jars and 10 min. for the 8 oz jars. People LOVE this pepper jelly w/ cream cheese and crackers!
Here's a great link w/ basic canning directions: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2816.asp

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #183 of 193

If you're interested in canning, get the Blue Ball Book Of Canning. It's considered to be the 'bible' of home canning.
Here's the URL for the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

TattooMom25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TattooMom25 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:14pm
post #184 of 193

gingerbread recipe is from the gourmet flavors list here on CC that MacsMom put together. basically the WASC with gingerbread spices and gingerbread coffee mate cream in place of water/other liquid. So yummy!
*also nice to add a tiny bit of lemon rind, doesn't speak of lemon per se just perks up the flavors

And the blackberry snowballs are a vanilla cake. Filled with jam and frosted with buttercream mixed with jam and rolled in coconut. SO GOOD!

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:45pm
post #185 of 193

I plan to bake cookies and mini bundt (pound) cakes icon_lol.gif I will start baking and freezing the cookie dough this weekend icon_cool.gif

Great ideas everyone, I might have to modify my plan!! icon_wink.gif

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:55pm
post #186 of 193

Dipped Pretzel Rods-Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate and white chocolate plus the red and green candy melts. Makes a lot to divide and give as gifts.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #187 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooMom25

gingerbread recipe is from the gourmet flavors list here on CC that MacsMom put together. basically the WASC with gingerbread spices and gingerbread coffee mate cream in place of water/other liquid. So yummy!
*also nice to add a tiny bit of lemon rind, doesn't speak of lemon per se just perks up the flavors

And the blackberry snowballs are a vanilla cake. Filled with jam and frosted with buttercream mixed with jam and rolled in coconut. SO GOOD!

Like those Lamingtons (I think they're called)?
They DO look yummy!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #188 of 193

one thing I am putting in my baskets are triple chocolate macroons!! They are macroons with white and mile chocolate chips, then I dip the bottom of them in a melted dark chocolate!!! Yummy!!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:09pm
post #189 of 193

also plan to take w jumbo marshmallows, thread them on a skewer, dip them in homemade caramel.. let them set up in the fridge for a bit and then dip them in chocolate!! then roll them in different things like coconut, nuts, etc...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:33pm
post #190 of 193

The marshmallows sound delish!

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:57pm
post #191 of 193

I always add this to my xmas goody baskets for friends. I call it Frito Crack b/c it's so addictive. It's a great salty-sweet treat.

Combine in a micro proof dish:
1 c. butter
2 c. packed brown sugar
½ c. light corn syrup

Put in microwave and let it come to a boil for 2 min.

Meanwhile in a foil roaster that has been sprayed with Pam (I use this kind of pan because it is easier to clean or just throw away) regular roaster can be used.

1 box Crispix (or similar chex mix)
1 15 oz. Regular Fritos
1 can roasted peanuts

After butter mixture has boiled for 2 min. pour over the Crispix mix and stir (I spray a large spoon with Pam so mixture doesn't stick to spoon) until mixture is completely covered with butter mixture.

Bake for 8 min. in a 350 degree oven, take out of oven stir again, return to oven for another 8 min. Pour on wax/or foil paper and spread out and let cool. Put in airtight container. Keeps for a long time.

soobsessedwithcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soobsessedwithcake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:02pm
post #192 of 193

I was thinking of doing the little cake balls and decorating them like ornaments. Also thought of making granola since I eat it almost every day. I just tried a yummy cranberry orange scone recipe. They turned out a little more like a muffin consistency however, but still really yummy. I have given Alabama Blueberry bread in mini loaves before too. Loved the candied nuts idea also. The Chex mix website has lots of different recipes for mixes. I made one similar to the Tropical mix one but it was a slight bit different, and oh so good. Ahhh, too many choices!!!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:50am
post #193 of 193

I do a plate of cookies every year for our neighbors. It's a family tradition, the kids and I bake, decorate and then the kids put their Santa hats on, and deliver to neighbors, and sing them a Christmas song. It's funny though, they are getting older and think they are "too cool" for it. I still make them go. Last year we added Crock Pot Candy. Which is basically chocolate covered peanuts. It is the BEST stuff ever! And so, so simple!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%