Holiday Goodie Gifts For Friends And Neighbors? Ideas?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 12:50am by NanaSandy

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #61 of 193
cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #62 of 193
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:00am
post #63 of 193

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Maybe oatmeal and peanut butter bars and then carrot and banana muffins. I'm so excited to start baking! When do you guys usually start? Cause there's the Christmas dinner to take care of.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:40am
post #64 of 193

I made the cookie bark for thanksgiving, for a friend & my sis in law, and they loved it! My kids got a tiny piece of it, and they loved it also! I used pb oreo's, and it even smells yummy! I put it in lil baggies with twist ties.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:04am
post #65 of 193

Hey Chass ! Thx. thats good to know because I plan to make it closer to Christmas !
Did you try any candy cane oreos in it yet ?

chassidyg Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:12pm
post #66 of 193

no, but I took out the pb & tried candy canes!! YUMMY!

chassidyg Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:13pm
post #67 of 193

I dipped the few pb oreo's I had left in choc (I dont have a choc mold), and omg they are sooooo good....I let the baby have 1, then I didnt share!!!

chassidyg Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:31am
post #68 of 193

Does anyone know how far in advance I can do choc covered pretzels? My daughter will eat a huge bag herself, but each of my set of inlaws want some, I already have some cookies made & froze, but the pretzels literally took ALL day! (for one bag!)

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:50am
post #69 of 193

I was just talking to my hubby at dinner tonight about this very topic!!! I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread! I was thinking about doing 5 cupcakes, and arranging them in a circle and decorating them like a wreath of holly leaves and red berries. I was going to make a little fondant bow to put at the bottom. Most everyone on my street has between 1-3 kids, so 5 cupcakes would cover everyone in the household. It would be fairly easy and inexpensive to do...

You all have submitted some fabulous ideas!

I've also done gourmet hot cocoa mix in a jar with the recipe and instructions attached. I put the decorative jar, a Christmas mug, and a box of Holiday Jingles cookies in a bag. If anyone is interested, I can post the ingredients...

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:28am
post #70 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAviles

Has anyone tried taking the puffed popcorn you get at the grocery store, and tossing with melted white chocolate, then you can drizzle with colored melted chocolate to add some color, at christmas maybe green and red and halloween some orange and milk chocolate

I actually used to eat my popcorn with a chocolate hershey bar lol because it is sooooooo good lol

cmp24 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:48am
post #71 of 193

I've been asked not to change remove any of my goodies I've had in the past because everyone wants what they got last year.

1. Chocolate covered marshmallows and white chocolate
2. coconut drops and white chocolate

this year, i have already made some hard candy of butterscotch, peppermint, cinnamon and cinnamon

i want to make cake balls, and caramel to add also

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm
post #72 of 193

I was thinking of making two kinds of cakes and then maybe a dozen of cookies per goodie basket. can anyone suggest how to package the cookies? I will use aluminum pans for the cakes, well they're more of bread really, not cake.

I would love some packaging/wrapping suggestions from you guys. This is my first time to do food gifts and I'm so excited! TIA

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #73 of 193

oh wow
you guys totally read my mind.
I want to make goodie bags this year for everyone I want to thank and let them know I appreciate them without having to buy something.

I got these awesome snowflake silicone cupcake molds at target a few weeks ago, anyone have a great brownie recipe from scratch?? something kinda fudgy??

knel, I would love the recipe for the hot cocoa, thats an awesome idea.

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 8:58pm
post #74 of 193

knel.. I would love for you to post the recipes you talked about !
Thanks much!
I hope I can get back on to see them LOL!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:02pm
post #75 of 193

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but have cocoa cones been posted? That's always a great gift! icon_biggrin.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #76 of 193

last year i made little fruit breads in star shaped foil pans, chocolate covered spoons with cinnamon, caramel popcorn and hershey kiss pretzel grids. oh, and chocolate mice too! i'm not sure what i am doing this year since i am having christmas dinner at my house, i will be crazy busy! i am making lots of yummy cookies for dessert, though:

Russian Tea Cakes
Hidden Treasures
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
Shortbread
Brownie Chewies
Rosettes
Pignoli Cookies

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #77 of 193

last year for my gift for my co workers I did a gingercookie "bowl" and made 3 cookie types and made some popcorn carmel with nuts, and made rice crispie fireplaces ( in my photos) and threw in some holiday candies from the store . The gingercookie bowl was made by smoothing the dough over a upside down pryex dish and baked for about 15 minutes. Everyone raved over such a cute idea and it was all editable.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:04am
post #78 of 193

These all sound so delicious, any recipes that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I have only learned cupcakes and cakes and would love to make up some of these goodies! If you don't want to post a PM would be fine too.

Thanks,
Kat

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #79 of 193

This is thread is so full of great ideas! Someone upthread asked for recipes for pancake mix and hot cocoa mix. I have made Alton Brown's recipes for both and recommend them HIGHLY:

Alton Brown's Instant Pancake Mix
Alton Brown's Hot Cocoa Mix

chassidyg Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:22am
post #80 of 193

Last year Wal-Mart had these 2 packs of little buckets with lids and I bought a bunch on clearence in Jan..this year, I'm going to make choc covered pretzels, and take some Christmas m&m's and mix the 2 together inside these little tubs for my nieces & brother in law. I'm trying to figure out what to make my father in law. About 6 yrs ago I made him choc covered spoons for coffee, and he loved them! But I dont know what to put with it icon_sad.gif

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:54am
post #81 of 193

As far as packaging goodies, I ordered foil containers with Christmas decorated tops in 2 different sizes from ABC Distributing. Not sure if I can post the name so if it doesn't come through PM me. There were about 25 each size for 4.95. Now I have to make something to put in them. Everyone has had such cute ideas. My grown kids always want my fudge plus any extras.

cmp24 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:53am
post #82 of 193

fiddlesticks.

Do you have a easy recipe for butter cookies? I bought some of the ones from wal-mart but would love to do my own to put in my goodies.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:25am
post #83 of 193

I'm so glad I found this thread!! You guys are so awesome with your ideas. I usually do chocolate stuff for gifts, like caramel and chocolate covered pretzel rods, but this year my daughter's teacher doesn't like chocolate (this is a strange concept to me)! She does drink coffee and as soon as I saw the idea about the gingerbread bowl, I started to wonder if I could do a mug. Not the traditional kind, but the more bowl shaped kind (like they used on Friends in the coffee shop). Then add some gourmet coffees or even a Starbucks gift card or something.

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:47pm
post #84 of 193

Ok, here's the land o' lakes recipe...

Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Decorations Ingredients:

Decorator sugars

Combine 1 cup butter, sugar and egg in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add orange juice and vanilla; mix well. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking powder. Beat until well mixed.

Divide dough into thirds; wrap in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (2 to 3 hours).

Heat oven to 400°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-third at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets; sprinkle with decorator sugar. Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
cmp24.... Heres a Melvira.. butter cookie recipe.She posted it for me because I was looking for a drop butter cookie and she says that you can also use this recipe that way to! So maybe drop ,then flatten with a glass dipped in sugar ( or not ) Ya know that kind of idea!

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:49pm
post #85 of 193

cmp24... Sorry, My reply to you kind of blended in with the recipe!
This is the only butter cookie recipe I have.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:32pm
post #86 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow3

last year for my gift for my co workers I did a gingercookie "bowl" and made 3 cookie types and made some popcorn carmel with nuts, and made rice crispie fireplaces ( in my photos) and threw in some holiday candies from the store . The gingercookie bowl was made by smoothing the dough over a upside down pryex dish and baked for about 15 minutes. Everyone raved over such a cute idea and it was all editable.

That's such a great idea! I think I might try that! Can you use any gingerbread cookie recipe for that?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #87 of 193

can someone post pics of your past christmas goodie bags? Where did you put it? I was thinking of a basket or a deep bowl or something.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #88 of 193

just stumbled on to thread. great ideas. last year for my cousin i etched a jar that said fudge on one side and cookies on the other and filled it with different kinds of fudge. she was so excited she had never seen a fudge jar before and wanted to know where i got it. this year i am sending fudge to fill the jar. this year i am giving fruit cakes, cake balls, cookies , home made apple jelly and apple butter. haven't decided on how to package yet. keep the great ideas coming.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #89 of 193

At Thanksgiving, I made mini carrot cakes with a crusting cream cheese butter cream (from the recipe here on CC). I used the mini muffin pans, made between 6-7 doz. Package in extra small hat boxes with tissue paper or saran.

My younger sister told me to be sure to make plenty of yummy stuff for "nibblies". After she ate the first 5 or 6 she said they were so cute and tiny she didn't feel guilty eating about a dozen of them. (NO JOKING!) Made me laugh. Big Hit and Easy To Do!

BTW, does anyone have a pic of the chocolate cones?

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #90 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeboi2005

i found some cute pails at target for $1 so i think i'm making almond bark and filling the pails with that and then topping them with a christmas tree sugar cookie made out of stars. Last year I over exerted myself almost not doing anything for my fam that I decided to take it easy on the neighbors. The K-I-S-S system is what I'm living by this year.

Chris

K-I-S-S system?? I am confused?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%