How Long Will A Cake Stay Fresh?

Decorating By srs7874 Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 2:50am by srs7874

srs7874 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 6

I was just complaining to my husband about how the thing I dislike about cakes is that you can't do them in advance! I have nothing going on this week accept for a Sunday cake. For cakes delivered on Sunday I try not to bake them until Friday evening. I don't like doing the freezing thing - I have just had a lot of bad luck doing that. My husband was mentioning that Duff spends a week decorating a cake and it must stay fresh. So my question is . . . how far in advance do you bake a cake (without freezing it)?

5 replies
bashini Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I always make sponge cakes and they would stay fresh upto 7 days. And I have baked cakes 4 days before as well. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 6

I always make my cake orders 1-2 days before as I simply couldn't get them all done on time.I have even started wedding cakes on a wednesday for a Saturday wedding and they are fine!! Cake will keep for a good 4-5 days.I bake on Tuesday for my orders and refidgerate them until I decorate on Thursdays and Fridays! I have never had a complaint about freshness!!

kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

Why don't you like fzing cakes? What kind of 'bad luck' have you had? If I didn't fz I'd never get done! Just think of the work involved when you have 3-5 wedding cakes in one wknd!

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:08am
post #5 of 6

In the baking world, the freezer is the baker's best friend!

Freezing aside, I ice/decorate my wedding cakes on Thursday for a Saturday wedding. Used the same schedule when I made my daughter's baby shower cake. Had a piece of cake when the cake was a week old ... tasted just great!

Baked goods are not as fragile as you think. (How old ARE those Oreos you have in your pantry? icon_confused.gif )

srs7874 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helped!

Cake making is a hobby for me, not yet a business, so I don't often have 5 wedding cakes in one weekend icon_biggrin.gif Maybe someday!! In the past, when I have froze cakes, I find the plastic wrap sticks to the cake and peeling it off makes a mess of my cake! I have done it before successfully but have had a few issues so I just don't like to take a chance!

I will bake and decorate this Sunday's cake on Friday morning/afternoon. It should be fine.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%