Nfsc Failing

Baking By Joanne1944 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 6:39pm by dailey

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 8

Why are my cookies spreading out? They don't spread too much, but if I want to use the cutter for fondant, it isn't the same size. How can I fix this? I chill my dough before I cut the cookies out. Then I put them in the freezer until they are very cold and firm before I bake them.
Is there a better recipe to keep the cookies from spreading? Should I just add more flour? I have made the NFSC recipe multiple times and the same thing still happens, so it isn't a one time fluke.
Thank you.

7 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

icon_confused.gif ?? I haven't had that problem with the NFSC, and it is all I use. I almost never chill my dough prior to cutting, only after cut out. I pop them into the freezer for around 15 minutes and then pop into the oven. Have you checked your oven temp? Are you preheating it for the full 30 minutes? Are you cookie sheets cool when placing cut outs on them? I have read that all of these things can contribute to the spreading of cookies.

However, if you just want to try a new a new recipe. Here is a link to her recipe, I haven't tried it, but from what I understand, lots of people love it!!

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2000-12-01/recipe.php

HTH -

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 8

I roll mine 3/8" thick and I have spreading, even though I chill the dough before and after cutting and even pop them in the freezer. I think it is just how the recipe is. I have read that some cut or eliminate the baking powder, but I haven't tried that. I do notice that if I cream my butter too much, they spread more. Also, they spread less once on the leftover scraps I reroll, so perhaps working it more (or that scant flour I brush on the bottom of the sheet of dough before I cut them) does that. I also swtiched scales recently and found they spread less as it turns out the newer scale was miscalibrated a tad and I used a bit more flour than normal.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 8

You are baking the cut outs, so there will be some difference between the raw dough and baked cookies. (You didn't describe just how much they're spreading.) The cut-out fondant won't exactly line up with the cookie. The ladies at the Flour Pot use a recipe almost identical to the NFSC (minus 1 tsp. of baking soda) and if you look at their cookies (adorable!) there is some cookie showing.
http://www.flourpotcookies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GFT%2DHOLIDAYPARTY%2DSM

I think there is too much baking powder in the recipe -- I'd use no more than 2 tsp. If you eliminate it altogether, you essentially have a shortbread recipe. It will spread less, but will be very flat.

Insulated cookie sheets will also cause spreading. Check your oven temperature, too.

If you just can't have any cookie showing you're gonna hafta outline and fill. I like a little cookie to show, think they're prettier that way. JMHO.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 8

I have a sugar cookie recipe that has baking powder in it and on top of that I cut the butter from 3/4 cup to 1/2.

Flavor is not affected any and little no spread. But, I do place the cookies on the cookie sheet and place them in the freezer for about 10 min or so before baking.

Hope this helps,

cakeymom

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 8

I cut the baking powder totally, have very little spreading!

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the advice. I added just a little more flour and that seems to help quite a bit. I think next time I am going to cut the baking powder to 2 teaspoons to see if that makes a difference. I use large eggs. Has anyone tried this recipe with medium eggs?
I have already checked my oven and it is OK. I like the texture of the cookies after they are baked. I roll them to 3/8 inch thick. I do use dowels on each side of the dough when I roll it out to be sure the thickness is consistent throughout.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 8

eliminate the baking powder...you'll never miss it and you'll get less spreading

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%