Clay Extruder...drat!

Decorating By mandysue Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 12:10am by sari66

mandysue Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 9

So, I went to Hobby Lobby tonight and bought myself "Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder. I found it in the clay department. (On a sidenote, I felt that the clay supplies were cheaper than the cake deco supplies, so will definitely look there in the future). I was so excited about buying this thing that I was practically shaking! It has 20 different disks and looks so awesome. However, when I opened it, I was disappointed. I thought it was a plunger-type, and I was OK with that. But, instead the whole plunger part is threaded like a screw, so you would have to turn it as you are pressing out the fondant. Does anyone have an extruder like this? Does it work better than I think it will? Should I return it? If so, what should I get instead and where can I find it? This looked like the best one available at the Hobby Lobby I was at, but I'm afraid it's not going to work!

Thanks!

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #2 of 9

Nope you have the right one. Give it a try. The plunger ones are hard to use, and really hard on your hands.

plbennett_8 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:14am
post #3 of 9

MandySue,

chuckle... icon_razz.gif You lucked into the GOOD one... icon_wink.gif The screw is sooooo much easier on your hands than the other ones. Good job!

Pat B.

mandysue Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 9

Oh, thank you, thank you!! I had read a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about recommended extruders and it looked like the good one was supposed to be $60 and I envisioned a lever-type. Well, the one I bought was only $26 (and I used my 40% off coupon) and I just didn't think it would work well. I wanted to try it before I returned it, but I didn't think Hobby Lobby would appreciate that! Thankfully, I had you wonderful people on CC to ask! OK, I'm excited again! Now I can't wait to try it!

emrldsky Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

Oh, thank you, thank you!! I had read a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about recommended extruders and it looked like the good one was supposed to be $60 and I envisioned a lever-type. Well, the one I bought was only $26 (and I used my 40% off coupon) and I just didn't think it would work well. I wanted to try it before I returned it, but I didn't think Hobby Lobby would appreciate that! Thankfully, I had you wonderful people on CC to ask! OK, I'm excited again! Now I can't wait to try it!

I have the same one and I love it! It's so easy to use. I would recommend, though, cleaning it before the fondant has a chance to dry, especially if you use a fondant/gumpaste mix. icon_smile.gif It's really hard to get the disc out when the thing is practically sealed shut, lol.

Melissa0567 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 9

There is a crank handle that you can buy to replace the screw handle. Try a search of makins ulitmate clay extruders, I think I saw it on Jesters web site. It is a handle replacement so you don't have to do all that turning. I have been looking for that clay extruder, Michaels can't seem to keep them in stock. Enjoy your new fondant extruder.

Melissa0567 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 9

Sorry, I did a search, the web site that sells that crank handle is www.clayalley.com

mandysue Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 9

Wow! Thanks, Melissa. I really appreciate that. I think I wil try it for awhile before I spend more money on the crank, but that does look like a great investment.

sari66 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #9 of 9

You've got the right one baby!!! LOL I've got the same one and it's much easier to use than you think, if you've got some fondant handy warm it in your hands and give it a try! You'll love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%