How Do You Make A Mum?

Decorating By schnumvf Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 1:28am by kakeladi

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #1 of 5

I've read the Wilton directions, I've practiced. I've used buttercream and royal icing. I can't get it to look like a mum. I switched from a tip 81 (I think thats what it is, currently in the dishwasher, can't check) ) to 59 and I think it works a little better BUT it's still not what I would consider to be a pretty mum. I like the full fat mums that I see out there. Mine seem to be so tiny and dorky looking. I have the Wilton pattern (?) that goes on the flower nail to follow. Please, if someone can help explain this flower to me I would appreciate it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:11am
post #2 of 5

I had the same problem. Mine were so tiny! I wanted to make big ones but didn't have a proper tip for that, and wasn't even able to find anything bigger..... so I'd be interested in this, too.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnumvf

I've read the Wilton directions, I've practiced. I've used buttercream and royal icing. I can't get it to look like a mum. I switched from a tip 81 (I think thats what it is, currently in the dishwasher, can't check) ) to 59 and I think it works a little better BUT it's still not what I would consider to be a pretty mum. I like the full fat mums that I see out there. Mine seem to be so tiny and dorky looking. I have the Wilton pattern (?) that goes on the flower nail to follow. Please, if someone can help explain this flower to me I would appreciate it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Did you use a large round tip to buildup the base of the flower?

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

Did you use a large round tip to buildup the base of the flower?

Yes I did. I used tip 5 and made a mound in the middle, similar to how you start a rose, just not as high. Is that right?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

If you could post a pic of your 'not too good; mums we might be able to help better.
Somehow I have a feeling your icing is too soft.
If what you are getting by ising a tip 5 mound is too small, then use a larger round tip &/or squeeze harder to make a bigger moundicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%